UKC

So Who's reading the book by 'Only a hill'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Little Brew 30 Oct 2012
What can I say, so far I am hooked, if you haven't downloaded it already, do so. it is well written and keeps you griped. liking the characters and there quirks and also it is interesting being able to imagine where they are as it is based on places most climbers will have visited at some point.
 Tall Clare 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:

I've read it and I'd definitely recommend it - I thought it was well-written and really absorbing.
 dunc56 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: And I got paid for editing it
 Tall Clare 30 Oct 2012
In reply to dunc56:

You too? Yep, I edited it, but I've edited other books that have been hell on earth to get through - this was a pleasure. I'm under no obligation to big it up but I thought it was a good book.

Hope that's okay with you.
 Mike-W-99 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
Enjoying what I've read so far.
Does one of the characters remind anyone of a well known florist?
 pebbles 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew: and which book is this, pray tell? I realise this will blow his anonymity, but I bet we can find out if we dig hard enough...
 pebbles 30 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles: ha, that didnt take long ;-D
Cthulhu 30 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles:

It's hardly a secret!
 dunc56 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Sorry - I had nothing to do with it. It just sounds a little strange from someone closely connected to it to push it.

I am not implying you would compromise your ethics in that way though
 owlart 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew: I don't have a Kindle, so I'm eagerly awaiting the dead-tree release!
 pebbles 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: aw, I was so hoping there was some sinister secret involved..it was the lack of any mention of the book title that intrigued me!
Cthulhu 30 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles:
> (In reply to Cthulhu) aw, I was so hoping there was some sinister secret involved..it was the lack of any mention of the book title that intrigued me!

Actually, I have no idea what the book is called, but it's pretty well known that Only A Hill was writing a book. I don't have a Kindle either, so will have to wait until he gets published in the old-fashioned way...

ChrisBrooke 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Cthulhu: If you have a smart phone you can get the Kindle app for free and then download the books that way. I've got through an awful lot of books that way, and will be doing so with Alex's.
mountainmadness 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

What's it called?
Cthulhu 30 Oct 2012
In reply to ChrisBrooke:
> (In reply to Cthulhu) If you have a smart phone you can get the Kindle app for free and then download the books that way.

Oooh, thanks! I didn't know there was a Kindle app!
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
> (In reply to Little Brew)
> Enjoying what I've read so far.
> Does one of the characters remind anyone of a well known florist?

Which one?! Interesting you say that, as most of the characters were put together before I met Hannah ... although there's a chance some of her characteristics may have found their way into the rewrites =)

Really glad everyone is enjoying it so far. For those of you waiting for the paperback, February the 27th is the date to remember (I'll be at the Clachaig for the launch).
 muppetfilter 30 Oct 2012
In reply to pebbles: Think fifty shades of grey but with a secondhand ice axe from ebay and a bunch of wilting Daffodils .... ;0)
 hokkyokusei 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:

I was thinking I would wait for the paper edition.
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:
> (In reply to pebbles)
> [...]
>
> Actually, I have no idea what the book is called, but it's pretty well known that Only A Hill was writing a book. I don't have a Kindle either, so will have to wait until he gets published in the old-fashioned way...

P.S. The book is called The Only Genuine Jones: http://amzn.to/SclBQC
 Al Evans 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill: I assume the main emphasis is Owen Glynne Jones?
Wonko The Sane 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew: Haven't read the book, but will buy the paperback because the write up I read intrigued me. I like sailing and was taught by an old RNVR chappy who taught me all sorts of wonderful 'back to basics' sailing which just isn't covered in anything the RYA do. I like the idea of that being applied to hill walking. Sounds very interesting.
Cthulhu 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
> [...]
>
> Which one?!

The ginger one who can't spell, obviously! ;oP
>
> Really glad everyone is enjoying it so far. For those of you waiting for the paperback, February the 27th is the date to remember (I'll be at the Clachaig for the launch).

Will you be selling signed copies by mail order, like Mr Kirkpatrick?

OP Little Brew 30 Oct 2012
In reply to owlart: No kindle here either, I am reading it on my iPhone, up to chapter 9 and enjoying it all so far! may have to buy the paperback for a few non tech climbing friends.
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> I assume the main emphasis is Owen Glynne Jones?

He is the main character yes, but in my story everything that happens after July the 24th, 1896, is imaginary. In my version of events, Crowley and Eckenstein collaborate on a modern crampon project years earlier than in real life--and the consequences for the climbing community are huge. The rivalry between Jones and Crowley is the main engine of the plot.
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:
> Will you be selling signed copies by mail order, like Mr Kirkpatrick?

Not by mail order (unless by some miracle there is huge demand!) but I will be signing copies at the Clachaig on the 27th of February.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
> What can I say, so far I am hooked, if you haven't downloaded it already, do so. it is well written and keeps you griped.

That's not much of a recommendation )))
 Al Evans 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill: It sounds fascinating, I will definitely look out for it.
Al
 owlart 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew: Ah, no smart phone here either! I shall patiently await the dead-tree format!
 digby 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:

> it is well written and keeps you griped.

Perfect for UKC!
 Andy Mountains 30 Oct 2012
You can download 'Kindle for PC' (which is free), then download the book from Amazon for £1.99 onto your PC to read.
Admittedly reading a book on your monitor is not ideal.
 Thelongcon 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:

Unable to download since I'm in Oz, congratulations though, everyone seems to be loving it.
 owlart 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: Oh, thanks, I didn't know that! Presumably, should I go down this route, then if I get a Kindle in the future I'll be able to transfer the books over to that?
 Andy Mountains 30 Oct 2012
In reply to owlart:

Yes
 Tall Clare 30 Oct 2012
In reply to dunc56:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Sorry - I had nothing to do with it. It just sounds a little strange from someone closely connected to it to push it.

Is saying I enjoyed something 'pushing it'? If I wanted to push it I'd start a 'what are you reading?' thread about it.
>
> I am not implying you would compromise your ethics in that way though

Glad to hear it.
OP Little Brew 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Is saying I enjoyed something 'pushing it'? If I wanted to push it I'd start a 'what are you reading?' thread about it.

I am nothing to do with it, i just thought it was a very good book, and lots of the UKC bunch would enjoy it, never even knew some of you have pre-read it! having just spent another 30 minutes with it, i wish i had longer for lunch!!!
 ChrisBrooke 30 Oct 2012
In reply to mountainmadness:
> (In reply to ChrisBrooke)
>
> What's it called?

Kindle. Available from the android store for free. Then you can also get many free Kindle classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, Jane Eyre etc) as well as, of course, paying for books like Alex's fine novel.
 wilkie14c 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
I downloaded it the other day and then couldn't find the charger for ou ereader! I got an app for my phone though so have it loaded and ready to start whenever.
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
> never even knew some of you have pre-read it!

Clare edited the novel and did a fantastic job of polishing my draft, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with her saying she liked a book (and, as she herself states further up the thread, it's not as if she's been posting threads about it herself).

I'm very pleased to see so many UKCers enjoying it and discussing the book. Plus I've had a mini sales spike today (no doubt thanks to this thread =) )
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
*liked THE book, I meant to say...
 Mike-W-99 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
> [...]
>
> Which one?! Interesting you say that, as most of the characters were put together before I met Hannah ... although there's a chance some of her characteristics may have found their way into the
Miss Elliot?
 Tall Clare 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

Thanks for this. I think Dunc56 might have been confusing 'editing' and 'having a share of the profits'.
 Blue Straggler 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Little Brew)
> [...]
>
> Clare ... did a fantastic job of polishing my [BLANK]

With which I turn the thread into a cross between Blankety-Blank and Fifty Shades of BLANK
 Tom Last 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
> [...]
>
> With which I turn the thread into a cross between Blankety-Blank and Fifty Shades of BLANK

Hobnails?

Do I get the chequebook and pen?
 Only a hill 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
There are no sex scenes in the book, sorry to disappoint you =) Although I have been advised that "Fifty Shades of Jones" might sell better!
 Neil Williams 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

It's really rather good - thanks for writing it!

(I'm the same Neil who put a review on Amazon btw)

Neil
 Tom Last 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> There are no sex scenes in the book, sorry to disappoint you =) Although I have been advised that "Fifty Shades of Jones" might sell better!

Regardless, looking forward to giving it a whirl. Congratulation on your first novel!
 Pyreneenemec 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Little Brew:

Dare I stir things a little, by saying that this guys talents are wasted on the scouting-movement !
 Pyreneenemec 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

A good friend of mine, a member of the Club Alpin in Agen has made a number of 'historic' climbing-films, notably on the pioneering exploits of Count Henry Russell in the Pyrénées. An eccentric, Russell entertained his friends in a number of caves he had escavated on the Vignemale. All the participants are amateurs dressed in period-costume using techniques that were only just beeing experimented with at the time.

Take a look, it might give you some ideas :

http://pvc47.jimdo.com/photo-vid%C3%A9o-cr%C3%A9ation-47/

Only a hill 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Pyreneenemec:
That looks fascinating--thanks for pointing it out! I'll have a look at it when I get a moment later on.
mountainmadness 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Only a hill:

What a cracking read! Chapter 3 and I'm hooked.

Good effort fella.
 Only a hill 05 Nov 2012
In reply to mountainmadness:
Cheers, glad you are enjoying it! It's been wonderful over the last week interacting with satisfied readers both here and on Twitter. One of the real rewards of the job, I think, is hearing from people who have enjoyed your work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...