Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - New to Mountain Biking-Please Help

razzorbuzz - on 30 Oct 2012
Hi Guys

Having been nagged now for a number of years by my friends (we all climb only they bike)I have finally succumb to getting back on a bike. I must admit the though does excite me slightly :)

However, I am currently not in a position to spend money what I have discovered to be a a more expensive sport than climbing (i wasn't even sure that was possible). I do have an old Giant mountain bike from around 199/2000. I found a picture of the frame here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148521 though mine has different (I suspect standard)handle bars/wheels/peddles/forks & what I think are refereed to as v-brakes.

I would like to upgrade the bike as best I can to try and bring it up to speck without going silly on the cost. My plan is to try and pick up second hand parts of ebay etc BUT I haven't got a clue where to start and what im looking for. Can anyone give me a brief run down or highlights of the things I need to know and what options I have.

I was kind of thinking that for starters I would put new wheels & tyres on and also change the v-brakes to disc brakes, then when I get some extra cash put new suspension forks on. Now although that is the rough plan I have no idea what brands/parts etc or how I'd go about fitting

I hope someone can spare 5 mins to help. Many thanks in advance;)))
... not showing 22 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums