NEWS: Ben Nevis Cairns Completed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 Oct 2012
New Number 4 Gully cairn, 3 kbCairns showing the descent points for No.4 Gully and Coire Leis have been completed in time for the coming winter season on The Ben

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67571
 AlH 31 Oct 2012
In reply to UKC News: It took Martin some days to haul the cap stone for the No.4 cairn a short way across the plateau and then he had to use some of the same methods that Egyptian pyramid builders did to get it on top!
I reckon the small No.4s are quite unobtrusive but will spend time buried by rime.
I wonder how long it takes to become festooned in tat?
The base of the old pole's cairn has ben left to continue to support some rare plant life... I wonder if climbers have been applying their own liquid fertiliser to make it a better habitat?
sphagnum 31 Oct 2012
In reply to UKC News:

The Number 4 Gully cairn is roughly 1.7m high, with a large and distinct capstone which has two aluminium number 4s on it

Its a monstrosity compared to old marker, take it back down please.
 Robert Durran 31 Oct 2012
In reply to sphagnum:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Its a monstrosity compared to old marker, take it back down please.

The capstone would make a fine trundle.

In reply to Robert Durran: Its just bizzare that they have replaced the old marker with this!

Can't see any logic in it; how a large stone column is more acceptable than a much smaller metal fixture with character and history!

I love the door number on it, from Wilkinsons I presume! Why oh why!!

gsum 05 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News: This is so depressing. The British hills are cairned to death - every minor summit has one. Pure vandalism.
 AlH 06 Nov 2012
In reply to several users: I'm not saying I agree with the cairn but the thinking was along the lines of the fact that:
There was already a marker there and most of the feedback they had was that one should remain as an important navigational feature. JMT have reduced the number of cairns and markers on the plateau to the minimum that seem necessary. They have spent a great deal of money and expended time and effort in scattering a large number of random cairns on the plateau.
A marker made out of natural materials is less visually intrusive and the small col the cairn is in means that its not really obvious/visible at all unless you are right upon it (and only those using mountaineering routes in the area will pass it rather than the majority heading for the summit).
The new marker is safer as an abseil anchor than the old one (which was just a post poorly planted in a small pile of rocks.
 morpcat 25 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I can't tell if the replies on here are just people trying to bait trolls for sport, or if they genuinely don't understand the very sensible decisions behind these new cairns!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...