UKC

Double edge razor disposal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm currently contemplating a move to a double edge razor as I've had enough of the price of Gillete et al. But this brings the problem of disposing of the double edge razors and I'd like to recycle them as that's one of the things that bugs me is the amount of none recyclable crap that accompanies the disposable razor.

I can't seem to find any definitive Can anyone suggest what to do or point me in the direction of guidance for the UK as my google fu has failed me.

Online suggestions seem to vary from throwing the in the bin (stupid), a home sharps bin (seems overkill and I'm not sure it addresses the recycling issue) or sealing them in a tin with a hammer and recycling them via the usual channels.

Any (within reason) other thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
 LastBoyScout 30 Oct 2012
In reply to mostly harmless:

I'd just put them in the recycling bin inside an old can - plenty of sharp edges already floating round the bin with tin lids that no-one seems to worry about.

Bin men all wear thick gloves for exactly this reason - no-one's actually rummaging through your recycling, surely?
andic 30 Oct 2012

Pull the blades out with a pair of needle nose pliers and sort as necessary?
 Milesy 30 Oct 2012
I have sliced many a finger on the rims of tins of beans etc. Sharp as any blade. Bins are full of tins and broken glass bottles etc. Stick it in something else like the mentioned beans tin and in the bin.
Wiley Coyote2 30 Oct 2012

This has to be a wind up.If you are really so worried about a tiny sliver of steel why not just let the beard you have in your profile grow? Think of the benefits to the planet: you save the mining, the tranport of the ore, the manufacturing of the steel, the packaging, AND the energy invovled in recycling it.
I can feel the earth cooling already.
 nniff 30 Oct 2012

Not that I've used one for about 30 years (electric since then), but used razor blades slide into a little slot in the back of the box they came out of. Then just recycle the box and blades - so the box probably goes up in smoke but the blades end up in a car somewhere.
 deepsoup 30 Oct 2012
> Any (within reason) other thoughts appreciated.

As Wiley Coyote suggests, go beardy. ;O)
Or, if you have a steady hand (and time for the endless faffing about with strops and wotnot) go old school and get a cutthroat razor.
 deepsoup 30 Oct 2012
In reply to nniff:
> the box probably goes up in smoke but the blades end up in a car somewhere.

Or, more likely probably, the box and blades end up together in a landfill somewhere.
 Steve John B 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to mostly harmless)
>
> I can feel the earth cooling already.

Phew! Planet saved! That was a close, er, shave...
 lost1977 30 Oct 2012

sharps bin
myth 30 Oct 2012
In reply to mostly harmless: Chav kids apples at Halloween?
 beardy mike 30 Oct 2012
In reply to mostly harmless: Electric shaver? That way you don't have any waste?
 jonny taylor 30 Oct 2012
This chap might be able to help?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=525435
In reply to mike kann: Not a wind up, over thinking possibly but no wind up.

Not keen on Electric, I had one a while back and it felt like using a lawnmower.

Unfortunately the profile pic is a decade old and looking like a tramp is (slightly) less acceptable these days.

The ideal would be a straight razor and strop but I'm chicken and I don't want to lose an ear.

Regarding disposal there's no clear consensus.
 thebrookster 30 Oct 2012

The straight razor is not as bad as it is made out to be, so long you take care!! I have used one for the last few years now, but you need to keep it sharp!

Keep the edge absolutely keen, and learn your technique (plenty of sites about it if you wanted to read up about it) and you'll pick it up in no time. Nice thing about straight edges, they rarely if ever need replacing Can't get much more environmentally friendly than that..... (seeing as the beard is a no-no!)
 John_Hat 30 Oct 2012

..ten seconds with a bench grinder and youve got a blunt bit of metal you can chuck in a normal bin.. or take to the tip and dump in the metal recycling bin.
 woolsack 30 Oct 2012
In reply to thebrookster:
> (In reply to mostly harmless)
>
> The straight razor is not as bad as it is made out to be, so long you take care!! I have used one for the last few years now, but you need to keep it sharp!
>
> Keep the edge absolutely keen, and learn your technique (plenty of sites about it if you wanted to read up about it) and you'll pick it up in no time. Nice thing about straight edges, they rarely if ever need replacing Can't get much more environmentally friendly than that..... (seeing as the beard is a no-no!)

The other good option to the straight blade would be a Rolls Razor set. Pick them up on Ebay for very little and it is a really nice set to have, never need to buy a blade or chuck anything in the landfill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...