UKC

Best winter bouldering in Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trys 31 Oct 2012
...and despite living in Sheffield, I'm not talking about getting rugged up in down jackets and taking a big flask of tea to the Burbage Valley. T-Shirts and a bit of sun would be ace, been thinking about Albaracin, any other suggestions for a couple of weeks in feb?

Cheers,

Trys
Tony Simpson 31 Oct 2012
In reply to trys:

Alba could be great or you could be getting togged up as you would in the burbage valley. Been 3 times and have had 1 great week of near perfect conditions, 1 week of badish but able to climb sometimes and then a trip when we arrived just as it started snowing and left the foloowing day just as the roads got blocked.

There are many other med destinations closer to tthe sea that dont get the snow.

There is the place James P developed in the south france (sorry cant remember the name) and you also have the stuff around Matero near Barca, the best known being Can Boquete. Seek these out and you may get better conditions.

Where ever you go I am sure you will have a great time.

p.s was in Targa last Jan with cold temps at night and upt 20c in the day. No snow at all. Went back with family at end of may and had snow all over. Weather if we could just forcast it!
 Alun 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Tony Simpson:

Agreed that Albarracín may well be cold and even snowy in the winter, likewise Targassone.

Nearish Barcelona (BTW "Barça" = the football club, not the city!) there is some excellent bouldering in Savassona and Sant Joan de Vilatorrada; both featured in the e-bloc guide. Don't expect anything as extensive as Albarracín though.

I still can't understand why anybody would recommend Can Boquet as a bouldering trip destination; there is a good reason that nobody has bothered to write it up in a proper guidebook. Some Brits gave it a positive review a while ago, but I live just down the road from the place and I hardly ever go. It's not rubbish, but there are better places to go on your holidays.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...