UKC

New Star Wars Films - episodes VII, VIII, IX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Being at an age where I grew up with IV, V, and VI and being wholly disappointed with I and II - III I enjoyed - LucasFilm is now under the control of Disney and plans are now drawn up for three new films starting in 2015 with VII, filmed in 3D

I wonder how good they will be. Fingers crossed.
Wonko The Sane 31 Oct 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I remember seeing the first of the new ones with my gf in the cinema and us both looking at each other thinking how the hell are they getting away with these horrible racist stereotypes. It was like watching a 40 year old film or an episode of mind your language in space.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Agreed, the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were dire. Quite liked Reventh of the Sith though.
 Siward 31 Oct 2012
Meh.
 Milesy 31 Oct 2012
They will need to stay with the extended continuuity. Failure to do so would result in widespread riots. Maybe a starting point would be the timothy zahn series.
 Got a job rob 31 Oct 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I am now waiting to Darth Vader on ICE!
 Clarence 31 Oct 2012

I don't think I will bother with these despite being Star Wars mad since 1978. Episodes I, II & III managed to do what I thought impossible, they completely turned me off the Star Wars universe. I still watched Ep IV at the weekend but it wasn't the same. Jar-Jar Binks made me grow up - the bastard!
 muppetfilter 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Clarence: Southpark summed it up when they had George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg bending Indiana Jones over a Log in a scene reminiscent of Deliverance. They have done the same to Starwars.
 Phil79 31 Oct 2012

Like many other, I was Starwars mad as a yoof. I remember reading an interview with Lucas saying he had originally intended there to be 9 films. I thought what a great idea, until they did the 3 prequeals...

Best leave it alone before they destroy any of the remaining goodwill of the fans and anything that was in any way cool about the original films.
 Milesy 31 Oct 2012
The original Star Wars films are only a fraction of the universe now. While the new films left a lot to be desired, that doesnt warrant ruling everything off. The books alone are an amazing world and undo anything that the most recent films done.
 Only a hill 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> The original Star Wars films are only a fraction of the universe now. While the new films left a lot to be desired, that doesnt warrant ruling everything off. The books alone are an amazing world and undo anything that the most recent films done.

This is true--there's a huge range of extra material out there that goes way beyond the films. Even the computer games that have been produced in the genre have managed to generate a lot of storyline between them (ie. the Jedi Knight series, which all take place after Episode VI).

Personally I quite liked Episodes I-III...
In reply to Only a hill:

Yes but is there not an analogy with middle earth here? There is a vast wealth of other material Tolkien wrote on middle earth, and it's that that gives lord of the rings it's depth and sets it apart from other fantasy worlds. But you wouldn't necessarily want to read it in its own right

I can say this with some authority having ploughed through the book of lost tales 1 and 2 many years back...

Not read any of the star wars books, so perfectly happy to be proved wrong, but the films 1-3 struck me as telling a story that didn't need to be told, it was better just being alluded to as back story in the proper films...
alanlgm 31 Oct 2012
Ive got a bad feeling about this....
 muppetfilter 31 Oct 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: 1-3 were a watered down childish version of the earlier films. The cold reality of Luke's familys brutal murder put against the utter childish nonesense of the CGI twaddle in episode one just stink of merchandising and toy sales.
as646 13 Nov 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: Luckily Disney have taken over, they would never stoop so low as to resort to pushing merchandise.

As an aside, I wonder if George Lucas still has all the rights to the merchandising of the franchise?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...