UKC

GU Canal Race 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nick Harvey 01 Nov 2012
After failing last year and barely having run since, I seem to have sort of applied for next year's race. Anybody else applying? I know there are a few of these ultra types out there. Think there is only a one in three chance of getting a place anyway, so here's hoping I don't! And trying this year seems to have aged my knees by a couple of decades. In fact, if you are reading this, don't even look the bloody thing up.
 Wonrek 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: 45hrs is a pretty tight cutoff time. Good luck!

I've just entered the Welsh winter series Brecon Ultra in December, only a baby 40 miler though

Cx
OP Nick Harvey 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonrek: oh, I don't know - winter and hills could make for a pretty miserable day (sorry!)! I froze on the GUCR this year and that was June and sheltered as it's flat as a pancake.

Actually I think the cut off is okay - you'll biff out before that if you are slow enough for the cutt off to be a factor I reckon.
 Wonrek 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: I'm trying to convince myself that the seasons are so messed up that it's going to be a tropical December,.....

I've got friends that do 100 milers (actually one has just entered the GUCR) but how the heck do you train for that distance?

I'm there with the 40-60 mile training but how many and how long to get to treble figures?

Cx
 mrchewy 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: Fairplay Nick. I found your attempt really inspiring, it kept me going at times when I was over the 60 mile mark in my ultra last year. Us beginners eh?
Knee is too pooped for running now, it was last year to be honest.

I hope you get in... and suffer accordingly!
OP Nick Harvey 02 Nov 2012
In reply to mrchewy: Cheers, that's nice to hear.

Re training - last year 90% of my mileage was the ten miles each way to work that i built up to doing three times a week. I probably only did about six long runs at the weekend of up to nearly 40 miles. But it does make one rather fatigued, all of the time!
 mattrm 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Despite swearing off ultras, I'm in a similar boat, planning on doing a load of local events again, 30 miler, 40 miler and a 55 miler, which will give me enough points for a 2014 UTMB entry.

Nick - nice one. I expect to hear about you successfully completing it this year! re training - based on what I've read, you might be better off getting more long runs in.

Wonrek - I've done the MCN Summer 40 miler and that was pretty tough. I wouldn't underestimate the Winter one either. Great race tho, very well organised.
OP Nick Harvey 02 Nov 2012
In reply to mattrm: Agreed - more marathon-plus distances i reckon and knacker myself less during the week with running lots of ten milers to work. We shall see. Still hoping i don't get a place!

As for UTMB, would love to but sod the training for that.
 mattrm 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Yeah, that sounds sensible.

I'm only planning on completing the UTMB. Not on going fast round it. I think the cut off for it is 40 something hours, so I'd be aiming for 39 hours. Would be nice to get an ok time in some of the ones I'm doing this year.
OP Nick Harvey 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: I am disappointed to report I was lucky enough not to get a place. Or I am pleased to report I was unlucky enough to miss out. Damn shame.
 mrchewy 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: Hahaha - there's always other races...
OP Nick Harvey 10 Nov 2012
In reply to mrchewy:

or not!

(I have entered a few 10Ks to try to actually get fit - I still maintain that I wasn't very 'fit' when I did it last year. Massive endurance, sure, but pathetic aerobic capacity)
 Wonrek 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey: A friend of mine got a place, shes just got to sort out a few injuries gained in 100milers this year nd hopefully she'll be back on form.

64 is my limit for next year though
OP Nick Harvey 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Wonrek: lucky her, poor lass. I pray for good weather for them
rgbritton 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

You could always apply for a place in the Thames Ring race Nick, put that enduarance to real use
OP Nick Harvey 22 Nov 2012
In reply to rgbritton: Yes, I did see that. Then the missus kindly reminded me that I failed to finish a race a hundred miles shorter. That aside, I think you have to 'donate' your support crew to the race and it requires more time of work - so I don't think my guys would like it to much. You understand this is definitely the main reason.
rgbritton 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Nick Harvey:

Well keep trying on the GUCR, collapsing in Little Venice is a cracking feeling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...