UKC

Remembrance day Great Gable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Is there a Remembrance day service on Great Gable this year? Or can anyone tell me who to get intouch with to find out?
Thanks
 abcdefg 01 Nov 2012
In reply to mark stephenson:

The FRCC will know. Go to http://www.frcc.co.uk and follow 'Contact Us.'
 Jim Walton 01 Nov 2012
In reply to mark stephenson: Can't think of why it wouldn't be occurring this year.

If you have not done it before then you need to be on the summit before 11:00am.

It is very moving and quite eerie. The cloud and the wild seem to honour the day as on the dozen or so occasions that I've been up there the wind drops just as the Sargent Major begins the Silence.
drmarten 01 Nov 2012
I've heard of this before, is there a story behind why they hold it on Great Gable?
 Lankyman 01 Nov 2012
drmarten 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Stephen Reid/Karl Lunt :
Thanks for that, quite a poignant story.
 Greenbanks 02 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:

"quite"?
drmarten 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Greenbanks:
Yes, quite a poignant story.
Removed User 03 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten: For a superbly portrayed, detailed background to this event (that took place on the day Mallory and Irvine disappeared on Everest) read Wade Davis's Into The Silence. Some books are so gripping you can't put them down until you have finished. I found this to be one I had to ration myself because I couldn't bear the thought of not having it to read any longer. I have been told it contains some inaccuracies though.
 Greenbanks 03 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:

There are of course far more "poignant stories"

Sorry, not a dig - it just seemed that the word was superfluous in this instance.
drmarten 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Greenbanks:
Quite.

The most brilliant thing about the Great Gable war memorial is that the FRCC bought the summit of the mountain (and then I think gave it to the National Trust as a gift to the nation). When asked how much of the summit they would like someone very clever suggested an arbitrary contour line that would include the climbing crags ... "how about everything above 2000 feet?" And so the deal was done before anyone noticed that Sty Head Pass is 2008 feet, and thus the plans that were then afoot to put a road through to Borrowdale were kiboshed for all time.
Wiley Coyote2 03 Nov 2012

It's not really a service in a religious sense (no prayers or hymns) just a minute's silence but it is very moving to see so many people making the effort to climb Gable in November weather that's not always the best and then all falling silent at 11am

I attended the Act of Remembrance on Gable for the first time last year and found it a moving experience. There's an account with photos here:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/trip-reports/tr---great-gable-act-of-rem...

A group of us will be there next Sunday.
 Needle Sports 04 Nov 2012
Just reading this years FRCC Journal and there's an article in it about how it has recently been discovered after some diligent historical research that AJ Prichard was in fact AI Prichard and so a couple of FRCC folk have turned the J into an I with the aid of a small angle grinder. This is the second name that the FRCC has corrected in recent years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...