UKC

Safety advice please! Quickdraw question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
daf 25 Jul 2003
I was caught in major downpour last week and all my gear got wet. Stupidly it's been left in plastic bags since then resulting in the krabs suffering major oxidation, cams siezing and my quickdraws and roped pro still damp and smelling a bit 'musty'.

The cams and krabs have just had a quick blast of WD40 to sort them out, but i was wondering how safe the quickdraw tapes are likely to be - i.e. is their strength likely to be compromised? There's no visible fungal growth (although they smell like they're going that way) and they're a mix of dymmea (sp) and nylon.

Hope to go to local wall this eve so any quick response/comments greatly appreciated.

ta

Daf
Matt Wilson 25 Jul 2003
In reply to daf:

Hmmmm, not sure exactly from a safety point of view but if I were you i'd give them a damn good washing. I usually do mine in the bath and then hang them on the line to dry them. The WD40 for the metalwork is a good idea but always wash them first - especially if you've been on sea cliffs. It gets rid of the salt which is a bad thing where metal that can save your life is concerned
matnoo 25 Jul 2003
In reply to daf:

They should be ok, id give em a wash in mild detergent (ideally some rope wash nikwax stuff). If theres mushrooms hanging off them, then mabie not, but otherwise id probably use them, although id never treat my kit badly (NEVER!! i worship it too much) so in reality who knows what id do if a tragedy like that happened!

Mat

daf 25 Jul 2003
In reply to Matt Wilson:
thanks - that's kind of what i thought.

d

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...