UKC

Harness for scrambling dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nomisr 01 Nov 2012
Hi,

Any advice on which harness to get for the collies first mountain adventure ? Will be nothing harder than a grade 1 scramble, but i think she'll be requiring a bit of assistance on some parts.

Thanks, Simon
 Banned User 77 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr: ruffwear are great..
OP Nomisr 01 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
Thanks, any particular sort ? am thinking collie hauling ( she's a bit of a wuss at times )
 Denni 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr:

We used to use a Ruffwear approach pack on Dave, our Weimeraner. It was an older model that had a big haul strap on the top which we used to haul him up with as and when.

Used to take him winter scrambling as well. Goretex fleece lined jacket underneath the approach pack and ruffwear boots, he loved it!
 Neil Pratt 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr:

We have a couple of collies and bought the Palisades Packs from Ruffwear for them - it's essentially the webmaster harness with a removable set of saddlebags.

For our larger female collie, it's a great fit and she seems to really enjoy getting 'geared up' because she knows it means we're going out for a long day, or even better, multiple days.

The smallest Palisades is too big for our little collie - she's very small for the breed, but I couldn't get it cinched down to be a snug fit on her and it seemed to rub her neck. I've abandoned it on her for the moment, and I'm going to have to go back and get a smaller harness for her.

From our experience, I'd say that getting the right size is pretty crucial - but they definitely work for making life simple on scrambly bits, and at fences and stiles, where not having a wet muddy dog smeared down the front of your jacket is a real 'win'.
 bennevis 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr:

Hi

We got a Ruffwear Doubleback harness for our small Cocker.They are not cheap at around £100 but fit the dog well. We have used in on scrambles up to grade 3 & the dog seems happy wearing it. The support is all in the right places and out of the ones I have seen it looks like the best made.
 Banned User 77 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr: http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/2012-webmaster-harness-p-646.html?utm_source=Goo...

just the standard one.. I use that for my collie..
OP Nomisr 02 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
Great - thanks a lot for all the info , really useful. Simon
 paul walters 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr: Another +1 for the Ruffwear Palisades Pack.... Sweepy-The-Dog uses one whenever he walks with me.... keeps his grub close at hand, and has handles and gear loops on for dragging and hauling his old man up hills !!
 peas65 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Nomisr:

we use a basic 3 peaks one on our collie, cost £6 rather than £100, is well made and strong. He has made it up grade 2 scrambles mostly on his own but with a bit of shoving. We also have a short bit of 8mm walking rope we carry just in case we need to protect a move.

He loves every minute.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...