UKC

Are Alpkit candy cane pegs any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 browndog33 02 Nov 2012
Hi,
As title, not too bothered about weight but are want something (skewer design) that won't bend too easily, will these do the job?
Thanks, Mark.
 Nath 05 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33: If these are the standard pegs you get with a Zhota then they seem pretty bomb proof, I've driven mine pretty hard into frozen/stoney ground with nothing other than some paint coming adrift.

As they are red they are really easy to spot on the ground aswell.
OP browndog33 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Nath: Ah thanks, the pegs I'm on about are aluminimum, red wire ones bent into a walking stick shape, is this the ones you've got?
Thanks, Mark.
In reply to Nath: Just checked the Alpkit website and it seems that we are talking about the same things.
Thanks, M.
 Indy 05 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Not quite sure which ones you mean as there is only 1 type of named 'candy canes' on Alpkits website. I got to use a Kangri this summer and owner never stopped complaining about the crappy pegs. They were all badly bent.
 Andy Say 05 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33:
I can vouch for the quality and robustness of the Alpkit 'Spikes' - used on icy ground and 'placed' with a Fly hammer in winter; placed on French campsites with a handy rock in summer.

But not cheap.
In reply to Indy: Mmmm.. it looks like they also might be the candy canes your on about too, so one good review and one bad!! (I've ordered the buggers now too).
Thanks, M.
In reply to Andy Say: Thanks, but these are a bit too expensive and heavy for me.
M.
 london_huddy 05 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Never had any problems with them in hard and/or frozen ground. Bought as replacement for an old tent and as standard with the huge Heska.

Alex Slipchuk 05 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33: my mate bought some (for a replacement for terra nova titanium wire pegs)and I can easily bend them by hand, where as the pegs I got with my 20 year old wild country voyager are still straight as an arrow. Hope this helps.
In reply to hindu: Cheers. M.
In reply to The Big Man:Thanks but what I didn't want to hear! lol
 Alex Slipchuk 06 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33: Sorry bud. On another note. I love the pegs with my akto. The're actually more expensive than the ones for the heavyweight mountain tents. They are very light and seem very strong. But don't get me wrong. Your alpkit pegs will be fine, just be carefull bashing them into rocky ground. Ps i also made cord loops to allow me to secure the akto on rocky summits. With the addition of small key krabs it allows easy connection without damaging the guys. Only adds about 100g in weight
 TobyA 06 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33: I've got them and they're absolutely fine. Some of the lighter TI ones I've got from Alpkit will make a hole in your Crocs if you try pushing them in wearing them (yes, it bloody hurt!). Candy canes don't. If you bash them in with rocks you'll get burs on them that might hurt your hand later, but same with all round alu pegs. Mine haven't bent yet.
 Ciro 06 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33:

No idea, but for lightweight unbendable pegs I do like these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/5-ultralight-pegs-id_2873930.html
 TobyA 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciro: Those look just like the ones that came with my MSR tent which are very good. The alpkit ones are twice as many for the same price though.
 Ciro 06 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, as I say I haven't tried the alpkit ones (and I'm a big fan of their stuff in general), just been very impressed with the decathlon ones - I've given them a pretty hard beating with a handy rock and they've come out looking like they're just out of the packet.
OP browndog33 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciro: Mmmm thanks- they look nice!
OP browndog33 06 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA: Thanks.
 Alex Slipchuk 06 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33: pegtastic
OP browndog33 07 Nov 2012
In reply to browndog33: Candy canes have turned up but they bend relatively easy in my hand have also bought some of their aluminium Y pegs but they feel strong and light

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...