UKC

The Ultimate Hot Chocolate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 02 Nov 2012
Just thought I'd share this breakthrough in hot chocolate making. It's a technique I pioneered some years ago while working at the Clachaig.

Forget your powders, this involves chopping up a Mars Bar into small pieces, chuck them in a mug, pour on boiling water and stir. Try to crush the floating bits against the side of the mug with the spoon until all are dissolved. Add marshmallows and you're done.
For those on a budget, Lidl's Mr Choc Chocco and Caramel bars work fine.
If you're feeling particularly naughty, try two Mars Bars in one mug - insane
Douglas Griffin 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

It'd need to be good to be better than the hot chocolate at the Cocoa Mountain at Balnakiel in Sutherland.
 fernie 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman: you`ve got my attention, i`m gonna try it.
Mediocre Scientist 02 Nov 2012

Add Baileys as well, or other equivalent.
 nufkin 02 Nov 2012
> '...pour on boiling water...'

Yeah, if you're soft. Real mountaineers use double cream.
 sargy 02 Nov 2012

Have been making something similar for years- we call it Mars Bar soup, but made with a pint of milk and a huge slug of brandy. Just the thing on a winter wild camp! I prefer not to completely get rid of the 'bits'- they're the best part! Also make it before heading out by lobbing the ingredients into a thermos before heading out- is nicely 'brewed' by the time you crack it open!
 ripper 03 Nov 2012
In reply to sargy: yup, i would have thought a large slug of brandy or maybe dark rum was the obvious ingredient missing from the OP's recipe..
 sargy 03 Nov 2012
In reply to ripper:

We've experimented with both, and at least to our taste brandy wins
 Bimble 03 Nov 2012

A crumbled-up Flake bar stirred into near-boiling milk, with a dash of Baileys for good measure, takes some beating!
 PATTISON Bill 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman:Spent a month in the Alps about forty years ago ,had mars bars boiled up in hot milk every night, great.
 girlymonkey 03 Nov 2012
In several places in eastern europe, hot choc comes in an esspresso cup, with a spoon and a glass of water to wash it down! It's basically melted chocolate, and a teeny splash of milk. I somtimes put in a wee bit ginger syrup too to flavour it. YUMMY
 Ava Adore 03 Nov 2012
In reply to TryfAndy:

Bit sceptical about the Mars Bar thing but this sounds ace!
 Matt Schwarz 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman: just made some to warm up after a MTB ride, its good!
 lost1977 03 Nov 2012

i use nigel slaters recipe which includes high% coco chocolate, full fat milk and double cream little else. absolute heaven but you overdose on it with a full mug
 deepsoup 03 Nov 2012
The Druid Inn (next to Rowtor Rocks in the Peak) do hot chocolate that comes as a mug of chocolate buttons and a jug of hot milk. Yum.
 Adam W. 03 Nov 2012
Ultimate Hot Chocolate?

youtube.com/watch?v=J-GkwIRbLw8&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...