UKC

love climbing but no car!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pj84 03 Nov 2012
any one climb but dont drive. how you get about? how get to the mountains?any tips advice etc..
 JanBella 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: done that for 2 years, i use buses quiet often to meet up with people or cycle with full rack, rope, days food and clothing... hitch hike or just pay for the beers. it's not that much of a problem i reckon.
OP Pj84 03 Nov 2012
In reply to JanBella: yeah what i thought will have to do, dont drive yet. and my climbing partner may bail on me so need transport and a partner, great! haha. ta for reply...
 James Oswald 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:
Post on here and find yourself a partner which has a car, people are very generous with going a bit out of their way to pick you up.
OP Pj84 03 Nov 2012
In reply to James Oswald: just done, good idea.. ta.
 Al Evans 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: I think I was climbing for at least 10 years before I got a car, though of course in those days hitch hiking was a norm, I even hitch hiked back from the Alps, which turned into an adventure in itself, unmissable,
I know it's different now, but using buses and trains was also part of my means of transport from Sheffield to the various climbing areas, I'm sure it can still be done if you are determined enough.
OP Pj84 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Al Evans: hitched from the alps that sounds cool! nice reply ta mate..
 Bulls Crack 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Join a club?
OP Pj84 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: could look into it, thanks...
 GrahamD 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Loads of people in our club in Cambridge don't own cars.
 Owen W-G 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84:

Strategy depends if you live in Dover or Hathersage
 Doug 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Owen W-G: Looking back, I did far more climbing when I didn't have a car - maybe related to having much more time & less other commitments. I got by with a mix of hitching (including from Scotland to the Alps), club trips & friends with cars.
 shantaram 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Pj84: For the first 10 years I climbed I didn't own a car, and I managed to do loads of climbing. I used to do a lot of hitching, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be so popular now. Although once you get into the hills, you won't have to wait for long if you have a climbing pack on your back and look like an outdoor type. It's the cities and motorways you might have problems getting a lift nowadays.

With a bit of determination and using a combination of buses, trains, hitching and walking you'll be able to get to most crags. You could also join a climbing club and team up with folk with cars. Not having a car shouldn't be a barrier to not getting out climbing. Lack of determination and enthusiasm will be your only barrier.
In reply to Pj84:

Didn't seem to stop John Dunne.

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...