UKC

Best shop in London for winter gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SARS 04 Nov 2012
Looking to get some new gear for the coming winter season. Any recommendations for good shops for gear in London re price/selection?

Cheers
king_of_gibraltar 04 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

I highly recommend Urban Rock at Westway. However if they don't have whatever you're looking for I'm sure you can find it in one of the shops at Covent Garden.
 nufkin 05 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

It depends what you're after - for ironmongery I'd also say Urban Rock would be the best bet. For clothing, probably doing the rounds in Covent Garden would be most successful (though I've come across a few hidden gems now and again in Urban Rock)
Removed User 05 Nov 2012
Rock On at Mile End for hardwear. http://www.rockonclimbing.co.uk/equipment.html
Covent Garden for best clothing selection. Decathlon is worth a look for the occasional 'find'.
 SFM 05 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

Of the Covent Garden shops then I'd say that Slush and Rubble have the best selection. Do a BMC discount too.
Although that said I noticed that Cotswold had a pretty decent range of technical axes on display the other weekend.
 Robbo1 05 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS: If you head to Covent Garden then you have Ellis Brigham, Cotswolds, Snow and Rock, Patagonia, North Face and Berghaus, as well as some others.
 nniff 05 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

I'd say that of the Covent garden cluster, that Ellis Brigham probably has the best choice. they do have some ice, too. That said, you'll pay top dollar there. Slush and Rubble also worth a look. But, Urban Rock best overall (but further out from the cente).

I do rate an hour's settler on the ice wall at the beginning of the season though. Reasonable price if you bring all your own stuff too.
 Simon4 05 Nov 2012
In reply to nniff:

> I do rate an hour's settler on the ice wall at the beginning of the season though. Reasonable price if you bring all your own stuff too.

I'd join you for an hour soon, if you fancy it. I'm supposed to be off to France in December for some ice (among other things).

Hope its cold!
 nniff 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4:

You don't need a partner - your money gets you a paid belayer too. It's around £25/hour if you bring your own kit. An hour on my front points is enough to see me off.....
 Simon4 06 Nov 2012
In reply to nniff: Can't turn up with a partner and save money then?
 nniff 06 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:
No idea - their rate's for an hour, with or without gear, with or without instruction. IIRC you get the belayer as a supervisor if nothing else
 nufkin 06 Nov 2012
In reply to nniff:

I went with a friend, hoping we'd be able to belay each other and just be left to it, but I think EB worry about liability, so we had to have their staff belaying. It did mean we each got more time on the ice, mind.
 badwabbit 08 Nov 2012
In reply to SARS:

Not sure about clothing, but I know Cold Mountain Kit at The Reach (South/East London) have a shedload of new shiny winter gear in for this season - ice axes, crampons, protection, all that jazz...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...