UKC

grades of The Quarryman in North Wales Llanberis Slate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi.

What is the complete grade of The Quarryman in Llanberis that Johnny Dawes and Steve McClure did?

The UKC report says the hardest pitch is F8a.

This youtube clip says it is E8, 7a 5.11d.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lLyF8zcP674&gl=GB

Which is true?

Bye

Savvas
 thermal_t 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: I wouldn't go to much on the grade if I were you. It's perverted rock climbing at it's best, there's a good reason it hasn't had many repeats.
 Tom Last 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Benchmark Scottish VS
Removed User 05 Nov 2012

In my day it was the trad grade (as were all slate grades even though there were bolts).
 JimboWizbo 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: The correct grade is "Nails"
 jkarran 05 Nov 2012

HVS - Hard Very Slippery

5.11d looks like a typo. It's basically hard, weird and rarely repeated. I'm not really sure there's much more to be said about it.

jk
 sihills 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: im fairly certain you wont be able to climb it yet so I wouldnt worry too much!
 Red Rover 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: What grade do you think the groove would get if it was a nice rough gritstone? I reckon about HVS 5b (pure speculation).
 Michael Gordon 10 Nov 2012

Surely the report from McClure tells you quite a lot? He gives a grade for each pitch though does suggest that 8a is either a sandbag or doesn't quite cover the nastieness of that groove.
In reply to JimboWizbo:

Hey JW.

The groove looks ghastly and so does the two finger mantle followed by the dyno.
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Hi michael.

I think it is the best description so far.

Nice report Steve!

To me, I thought

P1 = 7c, quite bold.
P2 = 7a+. short and nasty
P3 = 7c+. weird
P4 = Impossible to grade? One desperate boulder problem at the top. Font 7B+?? After 7b ish climbing??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...