UKC

Where to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

A few of us are looking for a climbing destination next April. We have been to Kalymnos in Oct and April, and found April to be much quiter, but I think we were also very luck with the weather. Next year flights are not going from Manchester so we would have to travel to Leeds, and then I think we would need to go mid week, which for me means loosing a days holiday. We are only going for 1 week.
So where is a good destination?
One of the group has been to Turkey and doesn't fancy it again. We all climb trad or sports up to 6a+/6b. Don't mind driving. I've just been to Mallorca so not interested in that again. Looking at Croatia or somewhere similar or maybe Morocco. We also enjoy multi pitching but not essential Suggestions please?

Si
 john arran 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC):

The new guide to Ariège will be out by then: http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/books/france-ariege-2012/
 Skyfall 05 Nov 2012

Around Buis in Provence area has good sports climbing in that grade range, including some very good multi-pitch stuff. Not too spread out between crags but a car required and a lovely area imo.
 Carless 05 Nov 2012

Just got back from Cassis
Cap Canaille is excellent as are the Calanques
Anything from 1 to 8 pitch routes on interesting rock
jjv 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC): I haven't climbed there but have been there and it's a nice town and surrounding area. Finale Ligure, north west Italy, on the coast. Genova airport is probably the cheapest but also Nice airport. http://www.climb-europe.com/RockClimbingItaly/Finale-Ligure.html

The weather should be ideal around that time. Good Pizza too!
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC): Thanks all for the info. I should have also mentioned that ideally we would want to fly from Manchester, Liverpool or Blackpool, but Leeds / Bradford is doable. we would also want to keep costs down, but don't want to slum it. And weekend to weekend flights preferable.

Si
 john arran 06 Nov 2012

Ryanair flies Liverpool-Carcasonne (75 minute drive to the centre of the Ariège climbing area at Tarascon) and also does so an Saturdays. Apologies if Ryanair means slumming it - it's only for a few hours and you get most of your sanity back at the other end!

Jet2 flies Leeds/Bradford-Toulouse (a similar distance drive away) but I think only from May onwards. Also check Thompson, Flybe, etc. as the dates and routes change frequently and I can't keep up! Lots of standard carriers also fly to Toulouse as well, and Easyjet runs 3 flights every day there from Gatwick (not a lot of use for you I know!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...