UKC

Jebel Toubkal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
arch the parch 05 Nov 2012
Anyone done this in December? I'm going in a couple of weeks and would love any advice on likely conditions. In particular, I'm planning to go fast and light and wonder if it's possible without big B3 boots and crampons - can it be tackled with 'normal' hill-walking boots and strap on crampons/spikes?
 Sean Kelly 05 Nov 2012
In reply to arch the parch: Unlikely to be snow free. Certainly very snowy when I was there in Feb!
marmot hunter 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Sean Kelly:
I think you'll find most 'trekking' groups go with 'soft' boots clients - B1 compatible. It is a long snow plod but the early traverse of a slope above an icefall is not a place to be with sloppy footwear.
B3 seems a bit OTT to me - quite a tough walk in in B3 boots.
 Henry Iddon 05 Nov 2012
In reply to arch the parch:

They had early snow when I was there last week.
In reply to marmot hunter:thanks for this - that's what i thought! B3 a bit OTT. On the other hand obviously my inov8 trail running shoes might be a bit raw!
In reply to Henry Iddon: Cool - I'm really looking forward to this - hoping to do the entire thing in 4 days - fly out thurs, get to imlil, friday get to refuge neltner - sat summit and down to imlil at the run(!), sunday fly back

In reply to arch the parch:

Totally doable - we flew out of manchester 7am - taxi to Imlil by 2. Walked into hut by 7pm. Next day warm up peak , but you could Jebel. 6am start on sunday to summit, back by 11. In Marrakesh by 6pm - hotel and out for dinner by 8. Flight home following day at 11am. Sorted.

Regards IIM
In reply to industrialiceman: good to know industrialiceman - esp as i've booked the flights! fingers xed it doesn't dump down just before and during my trip.........
 mrchewy 06 Nov 2012
In reply to arch the parch: Last January, I walked up with a lad in Mammut approach shoes and we just hired him some flexible crampons. I used B3 boots and Petzl 12 pointers. It's a pretty easy snow plod to be honest, have a think about ascending via the north cwm - less crowds and doesn't take much longer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...