UKC

Avalanche in Fionn Choire, Am Bhasteir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cameron94 05 Nov 2012
There was a large (60m wide, 80 long) avalanche in Fionn Choire at apx ng;465256. on the west side of Sgurr a'Bhasteir. I don't know what triggered it but it was of reasonable size.
Keep safe if you're heading up there!

Cameron
 Milesy 05 Nov 2012
 davy_boy 05 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94: might be worth informing the sais as a record of it can be kept for future reference theres a link on there website for reporting avalanches. http://www.sais.gov.uk/index.asp
OP Cameron94 06 Nov 2012
In reply to davy_boy: That was my first port of call but I thought I would inform ukc as well for anyone heading up that way.
 Milesy 06 Nov 2012
If it is on Mike Lates' blog then I imagine he would have likely done it himself.
 Tom Last 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> If it is on Mike Lates' blog then I imagine he would have likely done it himself.

Different ends of the ridge surely?
 Milesy 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

Whoops sorry. yeah lol.
 jonnie3430 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94:

There was one in Broad Gully on SCNL on Sat too.
OP Cameron94 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94: As far as I know it's pretty rare for the Cuillin to have avalanches this size, although quite small compared to what you can get I wouldn't want to be caught in one.

Has the Cairngorms had any recorded this year?
 Mike Lates 06 Nov 2012
 Nathan Adam 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94: Cameron's picture shows the size of the slide quite well. Maybe stick it up on here ?
OP Cameron94 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Mike Lates: How big was the crown wall on that Mike? Looks resonably significant.

I'll link some photo's to my user profile once they are up.

Mike Lates 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94: Each of those 2 layers was about 25cm. The crown wall extended up the GSS a bit but had been recovered centrally. Above here the last 50m to the foot of the route nearly stopped me completely but Guys long legs took over (it was up to my chest).
OP Cameron94 06 Nov 2012
Removed User 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94: There was also an avalanche in
Corrie Bhastier starting between 2nd and 3rd pinnacle.
OP Cameron94 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed Userstormin: Skye appears to be setting the trend this season!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...