ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Bouldering mats - damaging the future of climbing?

DaveAtkinson - on 06 Nov 2012
Started visiting grit venues this year and I'm amazed at the number of boulderers with mats hanging (or lounging) about. At Almscliff and the Roaches I would guess that 70% of the climbers there were bouldering with mats.

Some people were doing some nice moves and it was all very relaxed and sociable. There was also plenty of room on the crags for crustys like myself. But on both occasions hardly an extreme route was being attempted and when they were, it was by an over 50.

I was tempted to buy a mat before this summer. I thought I could see the advantage of improving my power moves. But not now. They are clearly the equivalent of an outdoor double divan. Comfortable, soft cushions expunging the desire of youth to climb hard.

Please boulderers, next time you head out, leave it behind. Take a rope instead. You will enjoy it more.

Sorry for the rant. I'm dying with flu and need to lie down again; on my tatami futon.
... not showing 24 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums