UKC

winter rucksacks - any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luci 06 Nov 2012
Hi -
I’m looking for a nice, light as possible, low-tech (too many pockets etc. annoy me) winter rucksack that can hold basic winter kit including ice axe – does anyone have any suggestions?

I’d prefer ladies specific design– I’m 5”5 and on the slight side.

So far I’ve found –
Deuter guide
Osprey (not keen on all the ‘features’ though)

Any recommendation appreciated
 sweenyt 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci: crux ak-47 x
or crux ak 37 (dunno if they do an x version though)
 martinph78 06 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci: Not sure what size pack you are after, but the Montane Medusa 32 is simple but very well thought out pack. I'm loving mine for long walks in, climbing and scrambling.

It's not womens specific but I really don't see that it would be a problem with this pack.
 Drapes 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci: I've got a Pod Alpine. They do a long and a short back version. I'm taller than you but found it to be a really good fit with the short back. I don't have especially wide shoulders but even shoulder straps were OK even though not women-specific. Different volumes, think I went for the 40 litre. Good solid bag. I really like the roll top fastening of the main body and extendable lid (and detachable). Great for maximising volume to get all the gear in, but then can be fastened down smaller as well for the route once ropes/gear are out. Easy no-faff axe loops, plenty of bungie cord and a rope-fastening strap if you cant get it all in. A Black Diamond Speed was another one I considered (again different sizes to suit) but I just tried the Pod on first and liked it.
 Jonay 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci:

Arghaus Arete 35 (womens) or a mens 45.

Can be found from £45-70 if you look in the right places.

Bomb proof and simple.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=berghaus+arete+35&hl=en&safe=off&...
 Cameron94 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Jonay: +1 for this. The 35 may be a better fir for you. I'm 5'7 with small shoulders and I use the 45 with no problems.

If you don't like the gimmicks on the osprey packs you can often take them off, failing that you could cut them off!
 SerenGib 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci:

I've been using this one a lot the last two years: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alpinism-32-id_8170103.html
Perfect, considering the price.

The Warthogs from blueice are also very nice:
http://www.blueice.com/products/en/6-backpacks
 GridNorth 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci: The deuter guide range is superb but quite heavy. I find however that with any significant load my Guide 45 is better than my lightweight sack and overall feels lighter, if that makes sense. I also like the front access and optional separate compartment at the bottom which is just right for storing a belay jacket and getting it out without disturbing anything else. All in all the best sack I've ever owned and believe me I've owned a few.

J
 wilkie14c 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci:
There are lots of good suggestions on this thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=522791&new=7085227#x7085227
 nniff 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci:

Something from Aiguille Alpine. Made to your spec in the UK for a lot less than most of the shelf. Call Adrian and tell him what you want - don't email - phone works a lot better with them. You can choose your colours too (mine's a fetching ninja black to throw the carry-on baggage police off the scent)
 pepperpot 07 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci:

I have one of these..
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/D6DAE32FB207F5F3C12...

Very good indeed. Its light, comfortable, simple as you like, functional and pretty much waterproof. The only thing I can fault it with is there are no compression straps, but if you're buying it for winter trips this shouldn't be a problem.
OP Luci 08 Nov 2012
Wow some great suggestions. Lots of companies I'd never heard of, and reasonable prices (shock!).

*Really* like the look of the Aiguille - simple & light, nice colours and the material looks like it'll last. Will definitely give them a try

Thanks, everyone
 neon_blue 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci:
Deuter Guide is brilliant, my wife bought a new berg and is still stealing my 3 year old guide, the berg is in the loft gathering dust.
In reply to Luci:
If you want light (but strong) and simple you need to look at Crux.

I have a 30 litre and 55 litre pack from them but you'd want something in the middle - maybe AK37?

I have a Pod Black Ice to cover this - brilliant but too heavy for your criteria. I know they make lighter versions now but personally I don't yet trust the new Chinese (?) manufacture and light materials.
 Jasonic 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci: Having had loads of sacs like everyone else I think you need to try them on. Backache from a badly fitting sac is no fun.
 alasdair19 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Luci: on of the smallest back size pod black ice/thin ice or similar. relativly narrow shoulders, light simple. Mine has taken a thrashing and still ok.

the arkteryx CIerzo might work too. Mine fits my wife better than me, again simple light seems strong only had it 12 months or so. 6 weeks round the himalayas with my mum and no abvious wear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...