UKC

Climbing technology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shumidrives 07 Nov 2012
Climbing technology gear is it any good???
 Aigen 07 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives: Yes it is good. Good review of their crampons on ukclimbing.
 Cameron94 07 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives: Good value axes, not to the same finish as something costing three times as much but it works well. I also thought that their helmets fitted better than any of the petzl hybrids.
matejn 07 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives: I have been using CT Click up belay device for sports climbing and I find it brilliant. I´m also big fan of their Ice hooks. They work really well on Bd and Grivel ice screws. http://www.climbingtechnology.it/it-IT/alpinismo/ghiaccio/viti.html?idprodu...
 tistimetogo 07 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives:

I do like the fly hooks.
 TobyA 08 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives: Absolutely fine in my experience
Harness review http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2857
Quickdraw reviews http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2842
Axe and crampon review http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3300
 Mike Mead 08 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives:

I have their rope bag/rucksack/duffel bag and its a very handy peice of kit for cragging. Solidly made.
 Taurig 09 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives:

Ive got a pair of their Nuptse crampons, no complaints, nothing flash just solid reliable kit. A couple of mates picked up a walking axe each from CT, they seem equally robust, and they do save you a bit of money over Grivel, BD etc.

It won't be an issue for me this season, but maybe next winter I'd look into a pair of their Fly Hooks as an alternative to second hand Quarks, interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on them.
 Cameron94 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig: Ther are a cauple of reviews for the fly hooks kicking about. Unfortunetly I can't find the link off the top of my head.
OP shumidrives 12 Nov 2012
What about quickdraws???
 TobyA 12 Nov 2012
In reply to shumidrives:
> What about quickdraws???

I linked a review to two models of CT quickdraws above. What more do you want?
 Simonj 12 Nov 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Hi,

Just looking at getting some CT Nuptse 12 point crampons, and new to winter climbing. Is there any difference between the classic and semi-automatics i.e I know they attach diffentetly but do they climb differently?
Cheers
Si

TobyA 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Simonj: Don't know - have only used the one pair, but can't imagine why they would as long as they fit well.
 climber34neil 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig: I have a pair of fly hooks and found them to be great axes, really robust, light, good swing and a total bargain, have modified them by adding grip tape all the way up the shaft and added petzel triggers ( the ones for the new quarks) which work really well
 Skyfall 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Simonj:

I have a pair of the CT classics to use with my less rigid walking boots. Excellent value for money and, well, just really good. The semi automatics will be better I suspect if they fit your boot well as they will be more rigid. So if your boots take semis and are rigid enough, I'd get them. I believe the shape/length of the points is the same however.
 Taurig 14 Nov 2012
In reply to climber34neil:

Nice one, thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure for my first winter climbs I'd be able to get away with two walking axes, but it'd be good to get something more future proof. Can I ask if the picks are replaceable? Could you set them up leashless?
 GridNorth 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig: Walking axes are longer and lighter than climbing axes. One of the ways this lightness is achieved is by making the head of the axe a single moulded unit. I have never seen a walking axe with changeable pick but that does not mean they don't exist. Long shafts and curved picks will never be as good as short shafts and reverse picks for technical ice climbing.

John
 Taurig 14 Nov 2012
In reply to GridNorth:

Sorry, think there's been a mix up, I was wondering if the Fly Hook axes had replacement picks, not walking axes.

Cheers
 Cameron94 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig: Yes you can replace the head, however it's a one peice welded head so you also have to replace the adze/hammer. They are quite cheap though so this isn't an issue but they are hard to source in the uk.
 Taurig 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Cameron94:

Cheers, I couldn't see spares on their website so wasn't sure if they were removable. Sounds like getting new picks could involve long waiting times and perhaps learning some rudimentary Italian, but I doubt puntering about at low grades will do much damage anyway...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...