UKC

Sicily Rock Type?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 08 Nov 2012
Just had a great couple of weeks climbing in Sicily (San Vito Lo Capo area). The area has many Marble quarries some very near or on top of some of the crags. Some of the climbing is on very sharp rock with many other routes on very smooth rock. A lot of the rock has many typical limestone features including many tufas etc...

The question is have I been climbing on marble or limestone?...(I do know that marble can be matamorphosed limestone)
 scott titt 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head:
It is marble (as you say it is metamorphised limestone, the vineyards on the other side of the mountain are on volcanic soils)
OP Sl@te Head 08 Nov 2012
In reply to scott titt: I thought so, though the latest guide says limestone. Was really tempted to have a look in the quarries for a slate like marble slab
 jimtitt 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head:
We´ve been in loads of the quarries, slabs don´t really exist because of the way it is cut out. They are dead vertical walls and smooth as can be since they are diamond cut. The entertainment is trying to climb the internal corners using the remains of the vertical bore-hole and any inclusions and solution holes. Not so easy!
It is mostly marble but the guide is correct since this is only another form of limestone, loads of climbing areas are really on marble but it would only confuse climbers!
OP Sl@te Head 08 Nov 2012
In reply to jimtitt: Do you think any of the crags may be lost to the quarries in the future, looks like the awesome 'Never Sleeping Wall' has a quarry on top of it?
 jimtitt 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head:
They are all shut down on the coastal strip. There is a law prohibiting quarrying near the coast though I can´t remember the details, they tried to revive the quarry above the campsite but that lasted about a day!
With the interest the local authority have in promoting climbing and outdoor activities I doubt the marble guys would have much of a chance now in the sensitive areas.
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
"It is mostly marble but the guide is correct since this is only another form of limestone"

Thats like saying schist is a form of shale.
 jimtitt 08 Nov 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo:

And?
 CurlyStevo 08 Nov 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
formed from and a form of are different.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...