UKC

When will scottish mixed likely come in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 09 Nov 2012
Obviously the ice based routes will take a while to consolidate before they are in. But how soon will some rock/ neve type mixed routes come into condition? I know some people have already been out ticking harder high end stuff.

Im thinking mid range like grade V-VI stuff? Had my eye on Hoarmaster last year. Any advice on similar routes that might likely come in sooner than things like Point 5 and Orions?

Or am i just being over eager and need to wait like everyone else is doing?

I want to go and play!!!!
In reply to CharlieMack:

see my answer on this thread....

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=526439&v=1#x7085355

gregor
 Billhook 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:
Depends on the weather.
 Kirill 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:
The Hoarmaster has been climbed by many teams in the last 2 weeks. It's a bit warm at the moment, but watch the weather it may be back in condition by Sunday.
 Milesy 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:
> Im thinking mid range like grade V-VI stuff? Had my eye on Hoarmaster last year. Any advice on similar routes that might likely come in sooner than things like Point 5 and Orions?

Dorsal Arete.
 Jamie B 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:

Snowed-up rock like Hoarmaster comes in pretty much overnight, the problem is that it goes out just as quickly!

We've had a nice wee early-season burst of activity, but it's anyone's guess how long we'll have to wait for the next adequately cold spell. Could be next week, could be December.

For what it's worth, Hoarmaster is pretty high in a high corrie and doesn't require frozen turf, so it'll be in nick more often than most. In fact it MIGHT even be worth a sniff on Sunday...
 krikoman 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack: Next Tuesday at 15:32
OP CharlieMack 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:

Cheers for all the replies and feedback about Hoarmaster. Will keep an eye on the weather and will have my fingers crossed for a mid week cold snap!

In the meantime i best get those lock off's back up to scratch...
 Jon Wylie 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:

Suggest Hoarmaster on Sunday is now a really bad idea. After this thread, everyone and their granny is going to be camped on it, that and savage slit

Increasingly, I reckon sneakiness is more important than fitness for winter climbing

Jon

Glen 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Jon Wylie:
> (In reply to CharlieMack)
>
> Suggest Hoarmaster on Sunday is now a really bad idea. After this thread, everyone and their granny is going to be camped on it

Surely that applies to the northern corries in general?

Just go somewhere with a big drive and or walk and you'll likely be on your own
 Jon Wylie 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Glen:
> (In reply to Withnail)
> [...]
>
> Surely that applies to the northern corries in general?
>
> Just go somewhere with a big drive and or walk and you'll likely be on your own

very true

Michael Gordon 09 Nov 2012
In reply to CharlieMack:
> (In reply to CharlieMack)
>
> Cheers for all the replies and feedback about Hoarmaster. Will keep an eye on the weather and will have my fingers crossed for a mid week cold snap!
>
> In the meantime i best get those lock off's back up to scratch...

Trying to back and foot your way up a narrow alley might be of more use!
 Andy Moles 09 Nov 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Aye in the mid grades you don't need to pull up never mind lock off, you just get your picks in and balance your feet up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...