UKC

Will WD40 or GT85 'eat' Pebax?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 10 Nov 2012
The walk mode on my Maestrales has gone a bit sticky and my first thought was to use some spray lube on it. Then it occurred to me that there was potential for it to react with the plastic. Anyone done this or know better?
 Mikkel 10 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

People use it on their bikes all the time, never heard of it eating the plastic parts on bikes.
And there is plenty of threads on various forums about WD40 so i would hazard a guess and say its safe, as i have never seen this used as an argument against it.
matejn 10 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: Don´t know about WD40 or BT50, but I have been using Ballistol for lubricating my climbing and skiing equipment. It works great.
OP DaveHK 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> People use it on their bikes all the time, never heard of it eating the plastic parts on bikes.
> And there is plenty of threads on various forums about WD40 so i would hazard a guess and say its safe, as i have never seen this used as an argument against it.

Firstly I'm not aware of any Pebax on bikes and different plastics react to different things.
Secondly I ain't hazarding no guesses on £440 boots!

But thanks for your opinion all the same!
 Mikkel 10 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

why not just use some silicon spray?
Phil Ev 10 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
Hi

As far as I'm aware WD40 is bad for Pebax (and other pastics), use a teflon based spray (I think GT85 is teflon based??)

Thanks
Phil Ev 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Phil Ev: Yes or sillicon, good call!
 Larey 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Mikkel: seconded
 hexcentric 11 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Call Scarpa UK to ask?
 johnwright 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> why not just use some silicon spray?

I would use silicone spray, I don't think you could spray silicon as used in computer chips etc.lol
 blurty 25 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Mr Sheen is inoccuous enough & will improve the action of the boots with silicon
OP DaveHK 25 Nov 2012
In reply to blurty:

And it will indeed shine umpteen things clean.
 blurty 25 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep, especially sticky/ squeaky boots.

I wouldn't use any spray with oil (GT40, WD40 etc). Mr Sheen will stop the squeak and won't trash the boots; without splashing out for silicone spray

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...