UKC

anyone been on Ben Nevis today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 10 Nov 2012
Any update on conditions?
OP AdCo82 10 Nov 2012
Or anywhere else in the vicinity?
 Jamie B 10 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Haven't been on the hill, but can see a fair bit of new snow from about 700m upwards. Based on daytime temperatures I suspect this may be a bit slushy, but it might firm up a little tomorrow?
OP AdCo82 10 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Did the snow line go lower than that at all?
OP AdCo82 11 Nov 2012
Any updates from today? Is anything freezing?
 Jamie B 11 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

You're a bit keen! When are you actually getting here?
OP AdCo82 11 Nov 2012

Wednesday. I'm not expecting full winter nick just an update
 Jamie B 11 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Keep an open mind and you should get at least a little winter ambience, if not actual "conditions" if you go high enough!
paddy cave 11 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Was on the Ben today, plenty of fresh snow about from 2 nights ago, no.3 buttress routes looked good to go, think it might all change tomorrow though! Did Curved Ridge and Crowberry on Saturday, snow line 2/3 of the way up Curved Ridge, plenty lying there on.

Will put some photos on in a bit...

Paddy
 Robert Durran 11 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Yes. Plenty of wet snow high up today. Not anywhere near freezing on a sporting Castle Ridge. Looks like it will all get washed away tomorrow.
OP AdCo82 11 Nov 2012
Gutted.......
paddy cave 11 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Some photos of the weekend conditions on the Buachaille and the Ben today..

see - http://mountaincircles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/ben-nevis-conditions-11-11-12...
 SteveHolmes 11 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
Ive certainly been on the Ben in worse conditions than today. A little blog here - http://verticalfever.wordpress.com/
OP AdCo82 12 Nov 2012
In reply to commandoclimber:

Cheers.

Is it really looking like the whole lot of snow will go then?
 SteveHolmes 12 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas
The forecast suggests allot will melt but to be honest at this time of year it is what the mountains need as it builds up a good amount of ice for further into the season. Just have to wait and see what we are left with this time next week.
 Jamie B 12 Nov 2012
In reply to commandoclimber:

Good effort getting up Glovers - what was the lower section (which is normally an ice-fall) like?
OP AdCo82 12 Nov 2012
Just my luck that last week was more wintry!
 Jamie B 12 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Do you still have the option of heading somewhere else for some dry rock-climbing? It might be better use of time...
 SteveHolmes 12 Nov 2012
Lower icefall was more like a build up of cruddy snow, just managed to get onto it from the left then traverse across the steepening to get into the gully above. No gear for 50m and a little delicate but solid enough.
 DannyC 12 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Four of us did North East Buttress yesterday. Lots of powder which made things quite time consuming, but a great long day out and pretty good early season conditions really.

Unfortunately, the majority is bound to have stripped (from buttresses at least) today.

D.
OP AdCo82 13 Nov 2012
In reply to DannyC:

Thanking you, Danny!

Not looking good on the cams today........cloud, cloud and more cloud!
 AlH 13 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: We've caught some glimpses up the hill today but in Fort william its been a heavy warm rain all day. What I could see were a few thawing streaks of snow on Ben Nevis and Aonach Mor.
OP AdCo82 13 Nov 2012
In reply to AlH: Gutted, just my luck!
 Michael Gordon 13 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

To be fair I don't think you missed much at the weekend. We went up to c1050m alt on the Ben on sunday and it was still well above freezing. The high stuff LOOKED good but wasn't really for us.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...