UKC

Pedals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 11 Nov 2012
Of of my pedals is grating a bit as it turn (I assume the bearing or something), so I was going to swap it. I currently use M530's (this is a road bike) as I just have the spd shoes.

I'm torn between more M530's OR......some PD-A600's! They'd look better on the bike and are lighter. But would it get annoying only having the clip on one side and stuff?
Sorry it turns out I have M540's
 balmybaldwin 11 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

On a road bike, I'd doubt it matters, and the 600s will fall into a position that's cleat side up (or near enough) once they've had a bit of run-in. On a road bike you tend to stop and start a lot less often. on an mtb, starting off a technical section without your feet in is a recipe for disaster, but on a road bike you can mange fine until you get them in (you just have less power)

Of course, this is the perfect excuse to get proper road pedals - you can get adapters for SPD shoes (or a nice shiny new pair of shoes). Proper road pedals give you a much better connection with the bike, and a better power platform. They are also one sided.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Well I've used spd-sl's in the past as my dad uses them, but I didn't really find a difference other than I couldn't walk with those shoes :-P
So I was wanting to stick to SPDs I think.

Damn it, maybe I want road pedals now :-P
 Alun 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:
I have some PD-A600s on my road bike, partly because I came from mtbing and didn't want to buy a new pair of shoes, but also because I have used roadie cleats in the past and you end up having to walk around like a novice ice-skater.

The pedals are fine, you get used to the one-sidedness pretty quick, and the larger platform means less chance of 'hotspots', which I used to get on longer rides with the smaller mtb-style SPD pedals (and are the main reason to choose 'normal' roadie pedals/cleats).
In reply to Alun:

Right I've gone for the A600's
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply: i'm thinking of the M530 as a cheaper alternative to the A600s- what's the difference apart from a few grams?
i'm not fussed about weight, but would like a grippy platform when not wearing spd shoes
ps. whoever offered me some spd shoes a few weeks ago, i'm still interested..
 Ian Patterson 15 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine:

Looks like the A520 are the cheaper road pedal, look basically like 1 sided version of the m530s pretty much the same price but quite a bit lighter (and only 50g heavier than the A600).

BTW I have M530s and think they're a good improvemnet on the M520s but wouldn't recomment as a pedal to ride without spd shoes. You need the m424 or similar for that.
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Ian Patterson: thanks for that- the m424 looks more like what i'm after

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...