UKC

Hells lum, deep cut chimney

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GK 11 Nov 2012
Myself and my brother in-law Stuart climbed deep cut chimney at hells lum crag on saturday the 10th November. Conditions were moist to say the least and water was pouring off the crag and the burns below were raging.
Despite the awful conditions we scrambled up the left facing groove running up the slabs to the start of the route and we climbed the wettest climb we have ever done. The first two pitches were desperate and i secretly wished we had just gone for a hill walk, but we were committed after the first pitch and once we got to the chimney the rock offered better pro and i relaxed a wee bit. I don't recommend this route in these conditions as gear was scant on the first two pitches and a fall did not bear thinking about.
Inside the chimney some difficult moves were required to pass the chock-stones and with no ice present it was hard work trying to get footholds. However we made it to the last pitch which was just sublime!
We topped out to clear skies and were pumped full of adrenaline and got home in daylight for a change.
Will do this route again in better conditions
 Jamie B 11 Nov 2012
In reply to GK:

Not sure why you are posting this in the "Winter Climbing" forum?
 HP 11 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Brilliant!
 Wee Davie 11 Nov 2012
In reply to GK:

You'll like it better in Winter nick!
GK 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: I wasn't sure which section to log a report and i must admit i only intended to submit a report on conditions and i do get carried away when i start writing.
hope that answers your querie
GK 14 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: liked the video, it was nice to get out , but would not climb in these conditions again!
GK 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie: Yeah i would return when it is more frozen.
 Simon4 15 Nov 2012
In reply to GK: It can be quite hard, even when frozen.

But much more enjoyable though!
In reply to GK:

There's rarely any ice in the final chimney.

ALC
 Steve Perry 15 Nov 2012
In reply to GK: I take it you were climbing this in big boots and bare hands, not axes and crampons?
In reply to GK: silly sods. don't you have homes to go to.............

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...