/ Death of a Canon 5D mkiii

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nadir khan - on 12 Nov 2012
I've been using my 5Diii for around 5 months , previous to this my 5Dii had seen all the usual abuse of dirt , snow , ice , rain , mud etc and had never failed me . I expected the mkiii to be better than its predecessor in the weathger sealing side of things but no . While up in scotland shooting some kayaking the camera well and truly died . it was raining but nothing crazy and there was some spray coming of the river but again , nothing the mkii hadn't been through and come out unscathed . In fact , when I was descending of the Sudgrat this year , the mkii got so wet in the case that there was water in all the electrical ports and it didn't flinch . So when the mkiii just refused to switch on 'Error 20' on the screen I didn't have a good feeling about it . I'm pissed of to say the least , it goes into the canon repairs to see whats happened but it has left me feeling uneasy about how much abuse it can really take , or is it just a one off and I was just unlucky . Any thoughts /experiences ?

some images before the camera died

http://www.nadirkhanphotography.co.uk/image/510

http://www.nadirkhanphotography.co.uk/image/509

( anyone spot the pat metheney nod ) ?
Alyson - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: I've no experience of that camera but I have some experience of kayaking and that second pic scares the pants off me!

Sorry I can't be more help but great work.
Nadir khan - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Alyson: Thanks Alyson , next time I'm up there the guys have offered me a boat and all the kit to paddle with them < the last time I did any serious white water was 8 years ago and prior to that I was a Senior Instructor but that was over 20 years ago , so going to get back on the river and get my roll bomb proof again , yeeks !
CraigB - on 12 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

As Falls Wichita...

My stomach lurched when I saw that photo. Truly excellent.

(can't help with the camera query though)
AndrewHuddart - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

Mine's been soaked in drizzle and rain a couple of times without problem but I was working on the basis that it wasn't as well sealed as the 1d series.

I'll be interested to see what canon tell you...
Nadir khan - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to hindu: The 1Dx has rubber seals on the compartments , the 5D has foam/spongey stuff on the comparments . Its the term 'weather seals' thats the issue . there's no clarification of what that means , its clearly not meant to be waterproof but how much dust , rain etc is it acceptable to expect the camera to withstand . Especially as Canon wont repair 'accidental damage' caused by water , dust , sand etc .
wee jamie on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: Sorry your camera is not well, but glad you're a Pat Metheny fan! Favourite album - Secret Story
In reply to Nadir khan:

My assumption was that I needed to be really careful with my 7D and keep it mostly dry, that I could be a little reckless with the 5D and get it a bit wet and that the 1D should be mostly fine as long as it's not swimming. I agree that Canon should really give us a bit more guidance on what each body can cope with though.

Good luck with the repair!
Sean Bell - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: Ouch! Sounds like bad luck to me Nadir, those cameras (normally) have a good enough water seal for a bit of rain, no matter how Scottish.Could the seal have been compromised by bits of sand/grit (morocco trip)..?

Anyway, did you ever here from anyone about the climbing set ups? I sent a wee fb message out last week..

The kayaking shots are awesome, the landscape one is well handled, great light, action and with very sensitive PP.Not something Ive ever shot but very inspiring indeed.

Best of luck with the kit!
In reply to wee jamie: favourite album 'Travels' Pat metheny band live . We used to do 'song for Bilbao ' in the band i play with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

Would seem to be indestrucible !
wee jamie on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: That's the one album I haven't got yet! And I have over 30. Oh good, I've got that to look forward to :)
What instrument do you play? Any recordings?
Pop in for a jam sometime if you're in the Fort William area (I play guitar).
Sorry for the thread hijack
In reply to wee jamie: play guitar , in fort william every month
www.myspace.com/kartelfusion
In reply to Nadir khan:

I've had no problems with my 7D and hardly treat it with kid gloves: the same can be said for the 5d but I've not had as long to abuse it yet...
wee jamie on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: Ah, very good! I'm very much into my gypsy jazz but attempt to play all sorts. I've struggled to find others to play that sort of music with up here. Might have found a jazz violinist in town, so things could be looking up.
Cheers for now
In reply to SeanB: cheers Sean , glad you like them > Only trouble is , next time I'm up I may have to paddle myself as well . I haven't paddled for years , and how to keep all the kit dry in the boat , more challenges !
Snax - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

Cracking images!

I dropped a 1D MK2 once shooting surf, it got a good washing in sea water. But I took it home washed in in the sink, left it on the radiator to dry for two weeks, came back switched it on and it worked fine until this summer when I traded it in... My Canon's would get a regular soaking shooting football and the like, and I never had issues with them not working, you just need to dry them out when you can. The 5D's aren't as well sealed however whilst it had less use in the rain mine always seemed to last well. I've now switched to Nikon and not yet tested the weather proofing in anger...

Regards shooting on your next trip, will you need to work from the boat? If so you may want to consider a surf housing, expensive but the wet solution. Alternatively there are several soft camera housings from the likes of Aquapac. I've used them with a 20D and they seem fine if you look after them, but the 5D might be too big. If you don't actually need to shoot from the boat, would a hard case like a Peli be an option? You could maybe strap it to the deck, still have quick access but waterproof and bombproof...
Tom Last - on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

Have nearly killed my 5d mk1 in a heavy downpour previously, went pretty haywire, but a week in a bowl of rice sorted it out.
Time and time again my 1d mk2 proves itself to be bomber in regular 90 mins of pissing wet Cornish ming and heavy rain whilst shooting football.

I've come to the conclusion that the 5d mk1 is a piece of plasticky tat - nice pics mind - but are the newer ones really much better?
Alex Slipchuk on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan: etive?
Nadir khan - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Snax: was looking at the peli cases , its just finding the right size for a body , 70-200 , flash and 17-40 . it'll be bulky and may not fit behind the cockpit. or just a CCS case in a drybag ? wont be shooting from the boat so dont need it on the deck
pottsworth - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Nadir khan:

A friend of mine did the Inchree falls, by the time he was where that guy was he had hit a rock and started a 360 spin before pancaking the landing.

He broke his paddle with his face, losing a tooth in the process, and only a check-up in hospital confirmed his back wasn't broken.

The coe looks cracking at the level you got it though
ads.ukclimbing.com
Andy Nelson - on 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Snax: The aqua pac option is a no go for the prosumer body/lens combos. I can't fit my 7d with a 77mm diameter lens.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.