UKC

Question for young people and the up-to-date

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Roses 13 Nov 2012
what are people called who like the Curecollect Cure stuff? Are they still called goths, or something else? Thanks
 The Pylon King 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:

the Cure were never Goth. end of.
 ripper 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses: Curators?
OP Blue Roses 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies: Helpful comments would be appreciated (unless you're neither young or up to date)
In reply to Blue Roses: I believe Robert prefers the Cure's fans and the music to be "unclassified".

So Goth it is!

Tom Last 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:

Emos?

Cheers,
Tom (neither that young nor up to date)
 Toby S 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

Nah Emo is too recent. That's only been in the last 10 years or so. I would say Goth.
 ripper 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses: Mrs R recently asked me and R Junior whether some of his mates, who favour black clothing, were "Emus".
In reply to All:

maybe if I just say Cure fans it will be easier

thank you
In reply to Blue Roses: Hard to say Goth as Robert back in 1998 in Q magazine said gothic music was nothing like The Cure's and he thought gothic style music was "incredibly dull and monotonous. A dirge really."

I think you might have answered your own question - They are Cure fans.
 ripper 13 Nov 2012
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: yeah goth was more yer Sister of Mercy, Bauhaus, stuff like that, wasn't it?
In reply to ripper/grumps: okey dokey thanks for clarification. I need to know my market to flog them stuff
 alooker 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:

perhaps post-punk new wave gothic rockers with a few happier pop songs?

Or just Cure fans!
 toad 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to ripper/grumps) okey dokey thanks for clarification. I need to know my market to flog them stuff

Just remember Henry Ford's old adage - they can have any colour they like...
 Rob Oram 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses: Well I wouldn't have called the Cure Goth but quite a few articles I've read on the Goth scene often refer to the Cure...
Daithi O Murchu 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:

Indie bastards isn't it
johnj 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:

Cure are pop-goth.
 The Pylon King 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies) Helpful comments would be appreciated (unless you're neither young or up to date)

It is helpful, The Cure are not Goth. Never have been.
 ripper 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to Blue Roses)
> [...]
>
> It is helpful, The Cure are not Goth. Never have been.

Neither are Half Man Half Biscuit, but they have goths on their side...
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies: what would you say they were? (I am not arguging that they are not goth but, as an aside, were liked by lots of goths I knew)
johnj 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:

Goth bands were basically alternate rock bands that like to wear all that black clothing and make up, the Cure did that and were about the most popular of the lot i.e pop goth or alt pop. Some musicians and music lovers get so obsessed over their type of music, and say dude we sound like no other band how dare you put us in that category with those fookin sell outs maaaaan... Like just get over it cos before too long some one will come along and say the Roses were just a shitty goth band that just ended up down with the baggy scene kids. X
 Oceanrower 13 Nov 2012
In reply to johnj: Word, Innit
as646 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses: Maybe I'm being a bit of a pedant here, but most young or "up-to-date" people I know would have no clue even who the Cure were. They're definitely your go-to people if you ever have a question about Flo-Rida though!
 The Pylon King 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Roses:
> (In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies) what would you say they were? (I am not arguging that they are not goth but, as an aside, were liked by lots of goths I knew)

yes that is true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...