UKC

Dreadful vocals, great tune

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Today I've been listening, for the first time in years, to the title track from Tim Blake's New Jerusalem. Fabulous tune, late seventies synth stuff that brought a contented grin and feeling of wellness with the listening.

Fabulous that is, apart from the vocals; they're dire. The lyrics are on the extreme edge of hippy dreadfulness too. But it's still a gorgeous tune and I can't think now why it's taken me so long to listen to it again.

Which is odd, as I can't usually abide songs with dreadful singers and godawful lyrics. Just me, or anyone else have surprising favourites?

T.
 Sean Bell 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Cliff Richard - Wired For Sound ?

youtube.com/watch?v=sn9mLnKmPco&
 thin bob 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
Most of The Smiths!!
 Sean Bell 14 Nov 2012
In reply to thin bob:
> (In reply to Pursued by a bear)
> Most of The Smiths!!

your ears are painted on.
 sbc_10 14 Nov 2012

Jools Holland can certainly play the piano but he cannot carry a tune vocally. It all sounds a bit nasally.....
 nastyned 14 Nov 2012
In reply to sbc_10: ...which brings do mind Bob Dylan who surely deserves a mention on this thread.
 BenTiffin 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Oasis - great melodies but some of the lyrics? Some might say and Whatever spring to mind.
pasbury 15 Nov 2012

Everything by New Order!

Most of Led Zeppelin's output.
 Wee Davie 15 Nov 2012

Anything by Ian Brown solo or with the Stone Roses. He's appallingly bad at singing (especially live). Hasn't stopped me buying his music and seeing him live though...

John Leckie managing to engineer his vocals for the Stone Roses album is a miracle. Memorable NME reviews of live gigs include quotes like, "like a drunk man shouting into a bucket".

Still a brilliant front man though!
 Wee Davie 15 Nov 2012

A lot of Dinosaur Jr stuff. J Mascis cannae sing!
 Mikkel 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:
> (In reply to Pursued by a bear)
>
> A lot of Dinosaur Jr stuff. J Mascis cannae sing!

Thats for sure, but his voice matches the sound so well like on Where You Been.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...