UKC

Disabled - Climbing Shoe recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bluefingers 14 Nov 2012
Hi all,

My calf muscles are non-functioning on both legs - I have no strength in pushing down (plantar flexion), i.e. can't stand on tiptoes.

Any recommendations for climbing shoes? Better with a firm sole, or something more flexible to take advantage of smearing?

Cheers,
B
 muppetfilter 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Bluefingers: Have you tried climbing in a high top boot like the old boreal Fire or ballet they are similar in shape to converse baseketball boots. These are not manufactured anymore but they crop up on ebay or an advert on here would net a pair.
I only suggest this as they would offer extra support at the ankle.
Bluefingers 14 Nov 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: Great thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out. Any thoughts on the flex?
 BenTiffin 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Bluefingers: Both these boots were far from rigid but fairly stiff in the scheme of things.

Ben
 Cake 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Bluefingers: Most people agree that tight soles are good (if not better) for smearing than flexible soles. The only problem is they're more uncomfortable. I would guess that in your position firm soles would help suppot, where your calf muscles can't.

Enjoy
Cake
 jas wood 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Bluefingers: close friend broke his back badly not long back and cannot stand on tiptoes either (still climbs well) he tried ankle boots which did him no favours and now swears by evolv bandits ! I'd imagine if you have problems with your calfs a firm boot would be better
Bluefingers 14 Nov 2012
In reply to jas wood: Fantastic. Same as myself, broke my back last year.

Thanks for the tips guys.
 jas wood 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Bluefingers: If it means anything to you my friend leads as hard as he ever did and recently lead left wall and harder routes since his accident. He also has the trump card when bouldering of "it's a calf route" but we don't let him get away with that :O)
Bluefingers 14 Nov 2012
In reply to jas wood: Haha! Always good to hear about guys with similar injuries cracking on. Still fairly new to climbing, looking for a group now who don't mind me being a slow bastard on the approaches.

Cheers,
B
 jas wood 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Bluefingers: Find a group of climbers who drink lots !
If your looking to get out find a local club.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...