UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Jon Griffith - My Top 20 Photos, Part 1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 15 Nov 2012
Jon Griffith Top 10 - 2, 4 kbIn this article and in the next one coming early next week, professional mountain photographer Jon Griffith of Alpine Exposures chooses his top 20 photos, and explains the story behind them.

Here's his first 10.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5094

BALD EAGLE 15 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:

Truly breathtaking and super-inspiring images Jon. Well done you!
 Paul38uk 15 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Amazing!
 USBRIT 15 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:Superb photos . I steal some for my desktop
 3leggeddog 15 Nov 2012

Superb photography. In some cases the images would have been better without the climbers
 The Pylon King 15 Nov 2012

Ok now please don't get me wrong, as these are stunning images, but they are all in perfect light and conditions where all you really need to do is be there with a camera.
The sort of mountain shots that really grab me are the ones where the light and situation are sometimes difficult or even terrible but the photographer really manages to capture the atmosphere (Gordon Stainforth Cuillin type pics).
 royal 15 Nov 2012
Cracking photos, good article.
 Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> where all you really need to do is be there with a camera.
>

Hmmm, not that easy for quite a few of those!
 zero six 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Mr Mark Stephen Davies:
'..they are all in perfect light and conditions where all you really need to do is be there with a camera.'

That's about 80% of climbing photography - a lot of what people would consider 'good' shots aren't good because the photographer is technically brilliant (not knocking Jon btw he's prob also technically brilliant!) - they're good because the photographer did the work to get them-self into a position, at a certain time, that they know will best show off a route's qualities. Modern dslr's and post-processing do much of the hard technical work.
Fantastic!
 aldo56 15 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Brilliant shots, is there anywhere I can get some higher res ones for desktops?
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: to be fair, it's just about being at the right time at the right place...
 davidplatt 15 Nov 2012

Suberb photography
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Hi Jon.

Lovely selection of Images, you are truly one of the greatest chroniclers of the modern Alpine scene. It never fails to cross my mind that simply getting yourself into the locations are monumental efforts in themselves.

keep it up and i can't wait for part 2
 john yates 16 Nov 2012

Getting there and doing it and then chronicling it so well - such a great achievement. Wonderful images.
 rockcat 17 Nov 2012
In reply to subalpine: To be fair, its not. Its largely about having the talent to see and compose the shot and understanding how to use your camera to get the shot you want. If it was just about being in the right place at the right time, then UKC would be awash with images of this quality.

> (In reply to UKC Articles) to be fair, it's just about being at the right time at the right place...

Si dH 17 Nov 2012
Awesome photos.

I like the fact that he has got several of the climbers to wear his same chosen top/helmet combo in green and orange even though they are all different people! (presumably they didn't all choose the same outfit by chance...)
 Mike421 17 Nov 2012
Outstanding photos and climbs. Jon Griffith photography and the rest.
Matt Cope 22 Nov 2012
Awesome article, and about time jon! your photos are always stunning to view, but this article adds more context.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...