UKC

Paramo Velez Light

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nigel Thomson 15 Nov 2012
Hi Guys, I recently bought this smock thinking it would be ideal for short mixed days in the Northern Corries where you can troop in without a sac etc. I'm not sure about this wet but it's bearable thing and would be interested to hear people's experience of Paramo.
I've always been a hard shell and recently belay jacket kind of guy so any feedback would be most welcome.
aljones27 15 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy:
Paramo is a bit like Marmite - people love it or swear at it!

Personally find them really breathable, but, when they leak you get really wet as they rely on DWR alone to make the directional fabric work. I'm not convinced by the wet but warm argument either as I've felt wet and cold...

My bottom line is that they are great for 99% of the weather this Fair Isle will throw at them and I've gone back to a hard shell for the other 1%. I.e. I'm starting to treat them as an excellent soft shell rather than as a waterproof.

Hope that helps.
 Jack Gillespie 15 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy: I've had one for three years and wear it cycling on wet days and its great but somehow I dont think it would be hard wearing enough for climbing
aljones27 15 Nov 2012
In reply to aljones27:

Grrr, not sure why the bold continued ...

Also, while warm during activity I'd have thought you would still need a belay jacket when stationary....
OP Nigel Thomson 15 Nov 2012
In reply to aljones27: Yeah, but it's got that thickish, plush, warm feel about it. Thinking shortish routes like SS and Stirling Bomber where you're doing a couple a shift.
Think you're right, use as a luxurious softshell and still carry a light hardshell,
 starbug 16 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy:

Have a look at this post:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=525139&v=1#x7072433

should tell you abit about the velez light.
 Gazlynn 16 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy:

I own 2 paramo bits of kit :-

For clear cold winter days I wear a r1 with a Paramo Fuera windroof smock.

For very cold winter days with chances of snow / rain I wear an merino wool baselayer and a Aspira smock.

For me both bits of kit are Awesome and love em.

Sorry I don't have any experience of the Velez light.

cheers

Gaz

Removed User 16 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy:
Not a climber but I've used it for two winters walking and it's a great bit of kit. Usually wear it with a merino base layer, a light fleece if it's parky and fling on a Photon hoodie when I'm sat having my piece. Never had an issue getting soaked either. Reckon I'll get years out of this thing.
 ohsmeg 16 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy:
I use Paramo all the time.
For cold winter days I wear a merino wool baselayer and a Paramo Velez smock and Paramo Cascada trousers.
I wear these for winter off road biking - and even for off-road running too if it's really cold and if I'm going some distance from civilisation, just in case....

For very cold winter days on the summits, for winter bothying (because the following days weather is always unpredictable) and for ski-ing I wear Paramo salopettes and a Paramo Aspira jacket, with merino wool leggings and baselayers.
I have a spare pair of Cascada trousers because I wear them so often and they do need washing sometimes (!).

Like Gaz, for me the kit is awesome and I love it. I have gradually amassed this collection over the last 9 years, having started with the Cascada trousers and Velez smock following recommendation from a friend who works outdoors all year in the Achnashellach area. Figured if it worked for him it was worth giving it a try.

I do have a goretex jacket which I bought just before the first Paramo and thought it was the bee's knees. Wore it a couple of times and I can't bring myself to sell it because I paid so much for it, but I just never wear it now, having tried Paramo.

First pair of trousers and the smock have had rips in for years - they never get any worse and I've never got around to having them repaired. Doesn't seem to affect the performance. The bum on my trousers got ripped from catching on my bike seat. Just patched it up and it works as good as new. Very resilient stuff for an outdoor life. They don't rustle, and they're very soft compared to goretex and its ilk, so you can sleep in them if the bothy is that cold.
Can't praise it highly enough - and No, I don't work for Paramo nor do I have shares in them
Hope you enjoy your Velez light.
 Ron Walker 16 Nov 2012
In reply to the weegy:

I don't own a hardshell and have used Paramo for winter climbing since the mid nineties. It's very durable and I'm still using one of my original Aspiro jackets for ice axe braking on courses.

I had one of the original Velez's with a pop off hood, which was a pain in windy stormy weather, as it would pop off when you least wanted it to!
I recently bought one of the normal Adventure Velez's with the fixed hood. This works well for Scottish winter climbing and is much lighter and less baggy than my Aspiro.

Despite loving Paramo waterproofs I have my doubts about the new Paramo Velez Light. The outer is too flimsy and clingy and I think it would readily catch on sharp rock, gear and ice axes. It's also not that much lighter than the normal Velez for the trade-off in durability.

I'm happy to be proved wrong but my recent experience of lightweight gear from various manufacturers, has unfortunately confirmed my reservations on many 'clingy' ultra-lightweight materials.

The original jackets and windsmocks are pretty bombproof and used by many Mountain Rescue Teams...
OP Nigel Thomson 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: I get what you're saying about baggy, I found some of the styles to be very large for my normal size. I have the jacket now, so we'll just have to wait and see if I shred it fisrt time out.

Thanks for the advice guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...