UKC

Ventile jackets - anyone used one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thrudge 16 Nov 2012
Anyone know how well they fair in the rain? Once they get wet, I'm guessing breathability goes out of the window?

How about warmth? The jackets look very baggy, so maybe not so good at keeping you warm?
 ballsac 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor:

breathability suffers, but ventile dries out quickly, and even when its wet it doesn't feel clammy.

its not a warm garment, but it is a comfortable one even when its wet and cold - its a bit like Buffalo, it seems mental, but it works.

its best in dry/cold environment - like a Afghan winter - where it was just brilliant - but even in a wet/cold environment, like a Falklands winter, it keeps a decent amount of rain/sleet/snow out, and is surprising comfortable.

it can, if kept wet, rot - but thats a couple of weeks with no wind and lots of rain.
 nniff 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor

I used to use one ice climbing, for which it was great. If it was that vile weather that gets you wettish and then freezes, it did become a bit like a suit of armour. Overall an excellent thing - mine was one of those wonderful old anoraks with a pocket across the chest and a hood that you could cinch up around you neck to keep all the spindrift out. If it's cold and dry - hard to fault really. If it turns nasty then you'll still be OK. Plus it will last forever. Mine went walkabout one year
 Oceanic 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I've used a single layer Ventile smock for ice climbing and skiing. If you treat them regularly with TX10 they don't do the 'turn to cardboard' thing that people commonly criticise them for.
 abcdefg 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> Anyone know how well they fair in the rain?

I made one once, and used it with success in the Alps. They are best in cold dry conditions. I wouldn't recommend on for 'normal' UK use: in rain, they will get soaked.

> How about warmth? The jackets look very baggy ...

You can make them to any size/cut you want. If you're talking about ones you've seen currently for sale, then that's another question.

sjminfife 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor: I have one of the larger cagool type ones made by Snowsled. I am really pleased with it. It keeps me dry and is comfortable to wear. A mate has the smock by the same company and swears by it. Comfy enough to wear in the mountains in the summer but if the weather turns you are covered. I'd reccomend it.
sjm
Shearwater 16 Nov 2012
You could ask on a more 'bushcrafty' forum... those guys really like ventile, cos it won't melt it your fire sparks on it.

You'll want double ventile for actual waterproofing, cos the inner layer won't get wet when the outer saturates. Single layer makes a really, if heavy, windshell especially if it is below freezing. If you'd like something a bit weirder, Hilltrek do some "Cotton Analogy" gear with ventile outers and paramo inners.
 HB1 16 Nov 2012
In reply to abcdefg: haha! I made one once too! It lasted a long time - at one point I turned the double into a single. I don't remember why
 Trangia 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I used to use a double skinned ventile smock in the 1970s, and found it was the driest garment I've ever had in really heavy rain - much better than modern "breathable" jackets. Also very robust and durable - perfect for mountain multi pitch, and warm, even when wet.

The downside, however, was that it was heavy, particularly when wet
OP Thrudge 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Thanks for all the answers, folks, it's much appreciated. I'm tempted to get one. Breathability has got me confused, though. I thought cotton hung on like grim death to moisture?
 sjminfife 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor: Here's a link http://www.snowsled.com/outdoor-clothing/ventile-clothing-technical/
I understood it worked by being a very very close weave of fine cotton. When it gets wet this cotten swells to make it waterproof but lets vapour out.
I have always found Snowsled very helpful,I bet if you phoned them they'd tell you more.
sjm
 PATTISON Bill 17 Nov 2012
In reply to Tony Naylor: Agree with Trangia a great bit of gear beats goretex any day .Army /Navy Stores in Leith Rd Edinburgh used to sell ex US Navy ones for £3 .5o Lost mine when I moved to live in the Lakes and never managed to find another.Superb for mixed winter climbing where you didnt have to worry about damaging the membrane
 Damo 17 Nov 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Tony Naylor
>
>
> ... one of those wonderful old anoraks with a pocket across the chest and a hood that you could cinch up around you neck to keep all the spindrift out. If it's cold and dry - hard to fault really. .

I used one of these in Antarctica last January. It was excellent (and also recommended on bushcrafty forums )

http://www.bergans.com/products/default.asp?liste=bekledning_liste&Meny...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...