UKC

Scotland's shortest winter route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaser 19 Nov 2012
So...what is it? Any suggestions?

More interested to hear what people reckon is the shortest a route should be whilst still qualifying as an "actual route". How short is too short?
 DaveHK 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:

I assume you mean recorded and named in a guidebook?

Mirror Direct is given 25m
 DaveHK 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:

The Crack in Coire an Lochain is 20m but it is essentially a variation finish to Central Crack Route.
chaser 19 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Yeah that's what I meant. It'd be interesting to know how short a route could be and still be accepted as a legitimate route by the SMC. You can get 12metre long summer trad routes....
 Siward 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser: from camping by the river to the bar at the Bridge of Orchy hotel can't involve an altitude gain of more than about 5 metres. Difficult enough in the ice though...
 Andy Nisbet 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:
> It'd be interesting to know how short a route could be and still be accepted as a legitimate route by the SMC.

There's no simple answer. It would depend on the particular route.
 CacCarnBeag 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser: Triangle Buttress on Lochnagar, do-able in one pitch if I remember rightly.

Fin
 Richard Baynes 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser: Eas Ruaridh, near the Drovers north of Loch Lomomnd: it's wrongly marked on the UKC crags map, it's about a km north of there in Coire Ordren. I think I've seen a guidebook length of 30-40m but it's more like 25 and it took me about six minutes. Very good, though.

Fat Bumbly2 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Baynes: Eas Chi-aig by Loch Arkaig must be a contender. a very quick route if you are lucky to catch it. Crux must be the drive up Mile Dorcha - a really icy bit of road.
 Mr. Lee 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:

When we did Mirror Direct we ab'ed off above the steep bit which was only about 8m of climbing. Probably placed about two screws (maybe one). Route ticked.
 dek 19 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:
Winter Wall at Poldubh? An icy slab that forms in hard winters, must be all of 50-60 ft of grade two. Was in the old Klaus Schwartz guide years ago, on Repton buttress.
 SonyaD 19 Nov 2012
In reply to dek: One of the routes that have been climbed on Clach na Beinn must be pretty short.
 Andes 20 Nov 2012
In reply to chaser:
Grey Mares Tail - Galloway version. 10mof grade II-III, only about 20m from the car park. Shortest route and shortest walk-in I've done.
 dek 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sonya Mc:
> (In reply to dek) One of the routes that have been climbed on Clach na Beinn must be pretty short.

We're scraping the barrel now, but what if you're a shortarse?!
 IainMunro 20 Nov 2012
 David Cowley 20 Nov 2012
Don't know how to make a link to a video on Youtube but check out "the last great chimney on ben nevis is climbed" This could be a contender

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...