UKC

Professional slide scanning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 20 Nov 2012
Can anyone recommend a good professional slide scanning service. I don't mind paying for quality (within reason) and they must be reliable and trustworthy - my slides are my most irreplacable possessions and I will feel very nervous sending the best ones off anywhere (but this is also partly why I want them scanned!).
 timparkin 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've just been drum scanning Alan Hinkes slides although at £8 for each 35mm it may be too expensive. The results are very good though if you want to see a sample?
OP Robert Durran 20 Nov 2012
In reply to timparkin:

I'm afraid that is rather outside my price range (I'm thinking of getting a few hundred done!)
OP Robert Durran 20 Nov 2012

bump
 Andrew Lodge 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: If you want to try doing a few yourself I have an old scanner that has a slide adapter. Gives good results but is time consuming
£10 collected from Huddersfield or £20 posted
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Chris Craggs of this parish has scanned 50+ of my most treasured slides, I thought he did a pretty good job tbh. Worth an email I would have thought.
 Dave 18 Dec 2012
I've used MrScan and thought the results were very good, better than other scans I've had done from time to time. There are a few examples labelled as scans on my gallery.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> Chris Craggs of this parish has scanned 50+ of my most treasured slides, I thought he did a pretty good job tbh. Worth an email I would have thought.

Thanks for the compliment - you forgot to mention the bargain price of 50p a pop!

As it turns out I am away from home and the scanner for a couple of months as from today.

Chris
 Sean Kelly 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Drum scan. Nothing compares. You get what you pay for with scanning. Try Loxley Colour for professional results.
 Dave 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward)
> [...]
>
> Thanks for the compliment - you forgot to mention the bargain price of 50p a pop!

25-35p a scan at MrScan, depending how many you have scanned...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:
>
>
> 25-35p a scan at MrScan, depending how many you have scanned...

That's good value - do they clean them and do levels/colour adjustments and keep them on their 'puter in case the clients need them again?

Chris
 Dave 19 Dec 2012
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave:

That looks great, and it undercuts my TIFFs by 1p!

Chris

OP Robert Durran 19 Dec 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Dave)
>
> That looks great, and it undercuts my TIFFs by 1p!

Is there any advantage to getting TIFFS for projection or viewing on a big TV?
 Dave 19 Dec 2012
 jon 21 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Dave)
> But nothing really beats a good quality projected slide

Until it pops after a few seconds and you have to focus it again. Then the next one...
OP Robert Durran 21 Dec 2012
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> Until it pops after a few seconds and you have to focus it again. Then the next one...

But you can make them big and bright and perfect without a projector costing thousands of pounds! So many digital "slide" shows turn out rather disappointing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...