UKC

Nissan Qashqai

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sliabh1982 20 Nov 2012
Who owns one?

What is it like for performance, mpg, tax etc?

And which engine size would you recommend?
 JLS 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:

I fancied one of them however I had cause to hire one on holiday and found it to be most unsatusfactory.

Basically I thought it would offer a bit more space than my Golf but in reality I think the Golf just edges it.

There were other things about it I didn't like but I can't remember what they were.

I got another Golf.
 Kimono 20 Nov 2012
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Sliabh1982)

>
> There were other things about it I didn't like but I can't remember what they were.

The absurd name perhaps?

They look like big and clunky beasts to me...i'd go for a pathfinder myself

OP Sliabh1982 20 Nov 2012
In reply to kieran b:

Pathfinder is looking a little pricey. Doesn't have to be a Nissan!
 JLS 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:

The one good point was the we did manage to drive over an impossibly big rock in a busy Sabot car park to get a space where there was none.
 toad 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982: I had one as a courtesy car for a couple of days. The biggest issue for me was the view in the mirror is really poor - very difficult to reverse. I also didn't like the size and shape of the boot, but that was propably because I bought my car for the big, easy access boot Apart from that, it was unremarkable
 nniff 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:

We had one.

It was a 2.2 litre diesel. It had a nice glass roof and was the worst car we've ever had.

Although it's got three seats in the back, you can't get three adults in it because the sides are scooped. Two adults and a small child at best.

Average fuel consumption was sub 35mpg. It hit 22mpg with a bike rack on the back at 70mph

First gear is too short, and you hardly get moving before you have to change gear.

It wallowed round corners

It gave both my wife and me bad backs

We have never been so glad to see the back of a car. The trim model was 'Accenta'. We used to call it the Quashiorca Placenta.

As if that we're not bad enough, it was an accident magnet - a tree fell on it, and two other cars drove into it. They were all trying to tell us something.

Get anything else - really. We got a Volvo V50 and that's bliss in comparison.
In reply to Sliabh1982: I can't think of single segment where this car isn't easily bettered by something else.

What is about the CashCow that makes you consider it?
 toad 20 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I have the same particulate filter as the cashqueue (in fact I almost have a Qashqai -the x-trail is built on the same platform). It isn't a failing, it's just that they sold the quishquee as an urban school run/ shopping car, and the particulate thingy needs a run out to get up to temperature to burn off the crud once in a while. I've only once had a light come on, and it went off as soon as I was on the motorway.

I wouldn't have a kashkay, but I wouldn't not have one because of the diesel engine, but I don't do lots of running around town - It's a case of mis-selling by Nissan, rather than a design flaw
 nniff 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:

Ours also had a problem with the particulate filter - it had to have a 'software update'. I have a nasty suspicion that that might have just switched the warning light off permanently as there was nothing to suggest that there was any sort of problem otherwise. Ours did very little urban driving.
 Marcus Tierney 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:
I have three friends who have them and they all like them. The best engine is probably one of the diesels, although I get better MPG from my Octavia VRS diesel than my pal with the diesel. Very comfy ride in the cash cow but I don't really get the body shape.
Bimbler 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Sliabh1982:

I would avoid one like the plague.

We had one from new (but luckily as a company car) and had:

-3 or 4 set of rear shocks on warranty and told if they go again then we would have to pay.
-It went rusty and had to be partially resprayed.
-The handbrake did not work when it was delivered and the factory fitted ipod player never worked.
-Wing mirror covers on both sides fell off and had to be replaced.
-Fuel pump broke
-Window wiper motor broke
-MPG was nothing like advertised... EVER!
-For some reason it handled better with 100kg of coal in the boot!?
-Show it a snow flake and it just started wheel spinning, I'd put that down to it having fat tyres and a tiny 1.5 engine.
-The main dealer was appalling.
-other things

In the end we bought it for 4k from company due to excess mileage and took it straight to a garage to swap for another car. We had to take our new car to another garage to get the locking nuts for alloys replaced and saw our car there. I asked the chap what he thought of them... I won't repeat it here!!

A Jap car, owned by the french and built in the North East. Make your own mind up. Ours was a 1.5 diesel.

Bimbler 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Bimbler:

It had done 100k when we got rid, serviced per guidelines etc...

Did I say avoid it?? Run away... quickly! Although apparently they are quite safe if you crash one, which was another problem. People kept crashing into it! and then they resprayed the boot the wrong colour!!
 George Ormerod 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Bimbler:
> (In reply to Sliabh1982)
>
> -Show it a snow flake and it just started wheel spinning, I'd put that down to it having fat tyres and a tiny 1.5 engine.

We've got the North American version, the Rogue and it's great. Shit fuel economy and poor rear vision, but otherwise it's all good.

Fantastic in the snow and at the weekend we towed some hill-billies in a monster truck out of an icey car park.
drmarten 21 Nov 2012
In reply to George Ormerod:
I've one, a 1.5 diesel, it gives 42mpg at a 70mph average over 3 hours - I just checked it last week on a long run. I agree the rear view isn't great but reversing sensors came with the car. The fuel economy may not be great but if I nurse it I have seen it up to 70mpg - hard to achieve in real life. It's got a bit more clearance than standard for snow which I think is required for snowy roads and using caution that every driver should use driving in snow it's gone where I wanted it to - it's not an offroader. I'll keep a lookout for the snags described above but I've had no problems after two years.
 antdav 21 Nov 2012
I had the top of the range Tekna 2l 4WD diesel as a company car, the ntec is pretty much identical but cheaper. It was ok but not enough to match the 25k price tag if i had to pay for it. Comfy and fun drive for a tall car with a medium length wheel base. The 4WD was ok for snowy back roads and trails to mountain huts but definitely not a proper off road car. Boot space is about that of a golf+.

The added extra's from the high spec were good, reversing camera, speed limiter, computer reads USB drives hidden in the centre arm rest. Visibility was pretty poor, small back window is made up with big wing mirrors (noise and drag), columns were pretty wide so a large blind spot. Regularly hit 45mpg. Handbrake seems to be a problem. It needed about 12 clicks to hold on a minor hill, garage refused to tighten it.

I wouldn't get one again. Kia's sportage is around 10% cheaper for essentially the same car and the 7 year warranty means it holds it's value much better. The problem with these types of cars is it isn't as useful as a proper 4x4 and not as comfy or economical as a hatchback/saloon. If 4x4 lite is needed look at a saloon which will be much better on long trips, bigger boot and better economy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...