UKC

Kid's climbing workshop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 21 Nov 2012
I've been roped into doing a kid's activity workshop on Sunday morning at the village fete.
Last year a guy had them running round cones and doing egg and spoon type rubbish - kids were bored very soon.

So I'm going to do something I'm interested in and try to give them an insight into climbing / mountaineering / bigwalls etc.

We're not allowed to abseil or get them too high off the ground and we don't have access to a climbing wall or anything like that so so far I have come up with the following:

A rope ladder from a tree - belay them up and lower them down.

Rig up my portaledge and let them try to get in a sleeping bag on the ledge.

I have a big rock with cracks in it so let them try to place gear and maybe place a peg.

Have a display with gear - friends - crampons - axes and some cool climbing photos etc

mmmm..... that's about it really. Anyone got any more ides?

Cheers

E

Tall Clare 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Teach them some knots?
 annieman 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:
Blindfolded putting on a harness.
Putting on a harness race.
Knot tying. In teams, half on each end of the rope, get them to tie a reef knot.
Blindfold make a square with a rope. They have to work out how to equalise the sides, and creat a square whilst blindfolded.
Hoopla with slings.
Chalk art.

Ice axe throwing

Robin
OP Enty 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Yeah cheers - got the knots one - forgot to mention that.

E
 Howardw1968 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty:

Use them as target practise?

portaledge sounds fun though
 Scott K 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: Slack line.
 EeeByGum 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Enty: Can you set up any form of rope swing or prussuk up a rope attached to said tree?
OP Enty 22 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Enty) Can you set up any form of rope swing or prussuk up a rope attached to said tree?

Yeah - will probably do some jumaring. Cheers.

Don't have time to get the kit for a slackline although there are two well positioned trees....

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...