UKC

Garbh Choire Bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexcollins123 21 Nov 2012
Does anybody know the condition of this bothy at the moment? I know its supposedly pretty run down, but does anybody know, for example, whether it still has a roof of any kind, or whether its weather tight?

Cheers
 Cameron94 21 Nov 2012
In reply to alexcollins123: As far as I'm aware it had a small amount of repair carried out on the roof I think the extent of which was to add some polythene sheeting under the roof and fix the door up a bit.
I could be way off the mark with that though.

Check out cairngorm wanderers blog it may contain some useful info!
nedmoran 21 Nov 2012
In reply to alexcollins123: Don't think it has been weather tight for a long time. I read on an official site(last year i think) that there were plans to demolish it, so that people wouldn't rely on it for shelter. I know it doesn't get printed on maps anymore.
 Jack Frost 21 Nov 2012
In reply to alexcollins123:

http://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/garbh-choire-refuge/

scroll down to 'Current Condition'

Cheers, It looks like i'll just have to go and see when I get there! No real up to date info, but I will just take the bivi anyway just in case.

thanks
 Only a hill 21 Nov 2012
I stayed there a couple of years ago. Ended up sleeping outside in my bivy bag as it was fairly squalid inside!
 OMR 21 Nov 2012
In reply to alexcollins123: The condition is as reported on my blog: there is a roof but it is in no way waterproof. As far as I've been led to believe, Mar Lodge Estate will shortly be carrying out consultation on the future (or not) of the refuge. The MCofS, the SMC and the Cairngorm Club amongst others are in favour of retention and renovatiuon of the refuge, and the MBA is capable and willing to carry out the work and look after future maintenance. It just awaits a final decision.
However for the immediate term, you would not be advised to rely on the Garbh Choire Refuge unless in dry weather. Even then, it's very small and not the most salubrious of shelters.
The Smith-Dey Bivouac is a 'shelter stone-type' bivvy in Garbh Choire Daidh, just below the ridge dividing GC Daidh from Garbh Choire Mhor. It sleeps two but is quite claustrophobic. Some nice campsites just below it though.
 OMR 21 Nov 2012
In reply to OMR: Should have said: here I'm OMR, but in my blog I'm Cairngormwanderer.
 Joe G 22 Nov 2012
In reply to OMR:
> Mar Lodge Estate will shortly be carrying out consultation on the future (or not) of the refuge.

I thought that sounded familiar... they did that seven years ago and I submitted a wee response on behalf of the Moray Mountaineering Club, along the lines of "dunna be getting rid o that bothy"... I'd happily do the same again if they're looking for more responses.
 d_b 28 Nov 2012

I would be in favour of renovation, with removal a distant second. Status quo is pretty unacceptable - last time I passed the place it was a dump.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...