UKC

Crampon Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 21 Nov 2012
I am after advice on which crampons to buy for winter walking/mountaineering in the uk (eg snowdon horseshoe in winter).
I want to use them with Scarpa mantas.
I've used petzl lynx crampons with mammut boots for ice climbing and was very impressed so am likely to go petzl again.
I also like the leverlock binding system but am confused as there are so many different binding types - help
Petzl irvis have been suggested
In reply to Ciderslider: After reading the first two lines of your post, the the obvious advice is to buy Grivel Air Techs with a Newmatic binding. See http://www.climbers-shop.com/630149/products/grivel_air_tech_new_matic_cram... for a very good description of why they are ideal for UK walking/mountaineering.

You could potentially go with the Cramp-o-Matic binding but the Newmatic gives you maximum flexibility should you wish to chance boots in future and generally performs equally well.

After reading the rest of your post and faffing around looking again at the range of Petzl crampons, my recommendation is still exactly the same.
 Bradders 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: why dont you just go and save yourself money and just use the petzl lynx, they have been made for b2 bindings too
In reply to Bradders:
> (In reply to Ciderslider) why dont you just go and save yourself money and just use the petzl lynx, they have been made for b2 bindings too

The OP said he had 'used' them, which clearly implies that he doesn't actually own a pair, since if he did own a pair it would have been a very strange form of words to use.

Cameron94 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: Another bump for airtech newmatics
matejn 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: I think you can´t go wrong with Petzl Sarken crampons. I have been using them for alpine climbing,mountaineering and ski touring. As far as I´m concerned they perform much better than my previous pre SS Bd Sabretooh crampons.
 Flett 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: I use G12s on my Mants for general hills, with the newmatic bindings, they fit like a dream!
janiejonesworld 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Ciderslider: take your boots to a good climbing shop and try the different options on - there's a big difference between basic compatibility and a really good reassuring fit and you can get some decent face to face advice at the same time (and judge the credentials of the advisor) on what's best for your intended use. the internet's no substitute
OP Ciderslider 21 Nov 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:" I've used petzl lynx" - and you're right I have actually got a pair.
I was advised however that for general hillwalking these were not the best/right crampons (as I assume that they are for actual ice climbing (which was what I got them for).
I'm not really that well versed in winter gear (apart now from ice climbing which I did for the first time in France this year - and that was the first time I have ever used crampons)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...