/ Recommend waterproof MTB shorts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flinticus - on 22 Nov 2012
I have an old pair of Karrimor epic shorts but am now back to experiencing the wet arse winter syndrome on my commute to work.

Anyone recommend waterproof shorts?
muppetfilter - on 22 Nov 2012
Ian Patterson on 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Depends whether you're looking for full wet weather waterproof shorts or something to keep you backside dry in wet conditions underwheel. If the latter then I'm a big fan of my altura semi-dry shorts, feel pretty much like wearing normal shorts but keep you much drier. I wear them mountain biking in all but completely dry conditions.
lost1977 - on 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

have you considered a rear mudguard instead ?
In reply to muppetfilter:
Yellow vinyl is grand if its a limited edition pressing but...

Thanks. Have got those Endura shorts. Hopefully no more wet pants.
In reply to lost1977:
Already have that but still, on a day like today, got soaked.
ShoePolice - on 22 Nov 2012
Waterproof shorts seem a wee bit pointless to me. Just go for full trousers, eg (bargain?)

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/muddyfox-waterproof-trousers-mens-635085
In reply to ShoePolice:
A bargain but shorts for me, thank you.

Shorts you can wear in cold and warm weather & have more freedom of movement whereas trousers would be too hot. Probably breathability issues.
mike123 - on 22 Nov 2012
In reply to ShoePolice: your bargain + my very technical pair of kitchen scissors. hey presto. bargain shorts.
mike123 - on 22 Nov 2012
In reply to mike123: just ordered. snip. snip
Orgsm on 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

These http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/clothing/shorts/baggy/product/review-gore-alp-x-paclite-w...

When I bought I thought they might be a little pointless. But they are ideal for wet commutes / rides. I don't mind wet legs out on bike, but a wet bum, miserable. Like you long waterproof trousers too warm and not brilliant for cycling unless you ride really slowly.
mikehike on 23 Nov 2012
In reply to mike123:
I cut down a oldish pair of taped seam waterproof walking pants, into knee length shorts. They roll up and fit my saddle bag. Work well for downpours
ads.ukclimbing.com
CarolineMc - on 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Flinticus: I also have a pair of cut-off waterproof trousers! I couldn't get a pair of lady's fit cycling ones, the men's didn't fit very well so I figured I might as well try it. Got a 20 pair of walking overtrousers and cut them with the kitchen scissors. They have an easy pull on elastic waist and 2 zipped waterproof pockets. Ideal!! Do it! Co:

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.