UKC

Bike security at the Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon4 22 Nov 2012
Just a warning - my bike lock was attacked in several places with what must have been a power tool today, in broad daylight. So make sure you have a good lock at when parking at the Westway.

I did report this at the front desk.
 lost1977 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4:

there was another thread about this problem probably little over a month ago
 Pete Dangerous 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4:

I had my bike stolen from my shed a few minutes up the road from Westway. Last Thursday this was. Apparently it's a hotspot for bicycle thieves. I thought they'd be pretty safe outside the centre though. I guess not
In reply to Simon4:
Sorry to hear this, I hope your bike was ok. I will say that as a regular Westway climber I have found the front desk pretty useless and it might be worth contacting the manager.
 fraserbarrett 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon4: A couple of years back my carbon bike (the other two developed punctures that day and I was late, the one and only time it was out on a 'commuting' ride) was broken but not stolen outside the pub just up from the ww. I was gutted, they clearly tried the trick of breaking the lock by twisting the bike around and broke the frame.

Not sure if this helps or just shows I needed to be more carful!
OP Simon4 23 Nov 2012
In reply to I like climbing: I might email them, just to make sure the point went home. The 2 staff I spoke to were perfectly reasonable, but I am not convinced that the message will be passed on.

Fortunately the bike was not attacked, while the damage to the lock was purely cosmetic. The stainless steel of the bar performed pretty well, and is just slightly polished where grinding attempts were made. So it is a bad idea to economise on a bike lock where you are going to leave it somewhere like the Westway, get the best lock you can.

I am a bit surprised that a dirty, vomit-yellow, oldish bike was attacked, especially in broad daylight.
OP Simon4 23 Nov 2012
In reply to fraserbarrett:
> (In reply to Simon4) .. my carbon bike (the other two developed punctures that day and I was late, the one and only time it was out on a 'commuting' ride) was broken but not stolen outside the pub just up from the ww ... they clearly tried the trick of breaking the lock by twisting the bike around and broke the frame

Is that why there are so many broken bike frames around still locked and attached to something? I always assumed it was malice on the part of frustrated thieves, when they couldn't actually get the bike free, so decided that it they couldn't use it, no-one would.

That pub is very expensive and a bit poncy anyway, pity the North Pole 2 minutes ride away which was excellent has shut down. Must find somewhere like it as an alternative.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...