UKC

Very slightly geek.. but very good :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 23 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Er, there seems to be nothing from 'V', and nothing from Thunderbirds, and I can't even see XL5 on any of the pages. In my opinion - Incomplete without any of those.
 Blue Straggler 23 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Very slightly narrow-minded!

No Dune, no Vogons...

In fact according to this, a Guild Heighliner from Dune would be bigger than the Star Wars Executor, and you do see some in the David Lynch film.

Amateurs! I'm not even a geek.
Removed User 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User:

Just to clarify, that's Fireball XL5 I'm on about.
 itsThere 23 Nov 2012
In reply to Removed User: non of the thunderbirds were starships
Removed User 23 Nov 2012
In reply to itsThere:

TB2 Was a rocket that went into space, and returned. If the bloody Space Shuttle can be on there then so can TB2. And TB5 was a space station, so that nearly counts.

youtube.com/watch?v=6ifS2nP53Zs&
 trouserburp 24 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Removed UseritsThere)
>
> TB2 Was a rocket that went into space, and returned. If the bloody Space Shuttle can be on there then so can TB2. And TB5 was a space station, so that nearly counts.
>

I think you mean Thunderbird 3 - duh...

Death Star is the massive blindingly obvious omission from those posters. Personally I would have scrapped 90% of the Star Trek rubbish and included a wider variety of sources

Removed User 24 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

for internet space ships geekery then eve online is pretty good.
 Blue Straggler 24 Nov 2012
In reply to trouserburp:
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
> Personally I would have scrapped 90% of the Star Trek rubbish and included a wider variety of sources

In fairness "Dan Carlson from Star Trek Minutiae decided he wanted to put an end to all of this madness about which ship is bigger, so he set out on a journey to research and create some infographics that showcased the different sizes compared to each other"

Unicron from Transformers: The Movie just sprang to mind and took me here
http://www.merzo.net/2000mpp.htm

16km discrepancy with whale probe length in the OP's link

I am not a geek

butteredfrog 24 Nov 2012
In reply to trouserburp: You beat me with the death star!

Shit...... I'm a geek.

Not only did I look (carefully), I thought thats cool can I download them.
 hokkyokusei 24 Nov 2012
In reply to trouserburp:
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
>
> I think you mean Thunderbird 3 - duh...
>

Definitely! I built one, once:
http://www.nsrg.org.uk/projects/tb3/steve_woolhead_bigears_20040501_DL%20-%...
OP John_Hat 24 Nov 2012
In reply to trouserburp:
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
>
> I think you mean Thunderbird 3 - duh...
>
>
> Death Star is the massive blindingly obvious omission from those posters. Personally I would have scrapped 90% of the Star Trek rubbish and included a wider variety of sources

Trouble is the Death Star is so vastly bigger than anything else it would need a page of its own, in which case its not exactly a comparison chart anymore....

Agreed about the Star Trek sources. Waaaay to many.
Removed User 24 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Okay okay okay TB3. It was a long time ago since I saw it last.
 Toby S 24 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

No Red Dwarf or Starbug either. Rubbish
 angry pirate 24 Nov 2012
cough, cough, Tardis, cough, cough
 Skyfall 24 Nov 2012
Forgot how cool the shadow ships were on Babylon 5...
 deepsoup 24 Nov 2012
In reply to angry pirate: Inside, or out? ;O)
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to trouserburp)
> [...]
>
> Trouble is the Death Star is so vastly bigger than anything else

Smaller than a Guild Heighliner!
OP John_Hat 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

A short survey of internet geekdom indicates a heighliner had a length of 20km and the DS a diameter of 160km, so might be a tight fit...
 Brass Nipples 24 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Where's the ship from Alien or the monolith from space 2001?

I had thunderbirds 1 and 2 and 4, brother had thunderbird 3. 2 and 3 were good in bath, 1 no good.
Removed User 24 Nov 2012
In reply to A Game of Chance:

Was TB4 any good in the bath? Be a bit odd if it wasn't.
 ollieollie 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> No Red Dwarf or Starbug either. Rubbish

sod, beat me to it!!

RichieB 24 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
That's great.
No Buck Rogers though.
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> Where's the ship from Alien

Mentioned in the introductory text but not on any of the charts, I think!
In reply to John_Hat:

Yes I just realised that and came on to try to retract my rather confused statement. My apologies. Perhaps that was my subconscious trying to demonstrate a lack of geekiness.
OP John_Hat 24 Nov 2012
> (In reply to John_Hat)
>
> Perhaps that was my subconscious trying to demonstrate a lack of geekiness.

Not a bad thing

Actually nudged by your post, I read a lot of things about dune/the guild/etc which I would not have otherwise done... Still think the books started going very badly downhill after the first one though, and were more or less in freefall by no 3.
In reply to John_Hat:

The first three were pretty much a single story though - a long story spread across a trilogy, like The Lord of the Rings but published separately. "Dune" does not end properly, and "Dune Messiah" certainly doesn't. "Children of Dune" ends that phase.

I never got past that, because book 4 was so far removed. Many say the second trilogy was actually good though.

But I think you are being dismissive of books 2 and 3. I have not read them since 20 years ago but I recall great things about Paul as the unnamed blind messiah, the assassin Scytale, the cult of Alia, the children Leto and Ghanima, and the Ghola resurrection(s) of Duncan Idaho. I thought all that was good writing.

btw if you like the heavy detail that Frank Herbert puts into his writing, and fancy a belting good read, try "The White Plague".
OP John_Hat 24 Nov 2012

I read them (2&3) a few years back, but the writing didn't "catch" me, if you like. I might go back and read them again, on the basis of your post, and have another go... they are all of about 15ft away from me now..

Don't think we've got the white plague (or at least Lady Blue shouting from the next room doesn't think so - the Frank Herbert's are hers - and actually she was the one who sent the link in the OP to me). I'll put it on the (growing) list for the next trip to hay-on-Wye.
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> I might go back and read them again, on the basis of your post

To reiterate - I read them at 15-16-17ish and was receptive to such things. They may turn out to be garbage, but I believe that the consensus is that the first trilogy is just fine. Get more qualified opinions before going too far into it!

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/behind-scenes-at.php
 Guy Atkinson 25 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
They've never been put on the screen.. but how about a 200km long (possibly wide also) culture GSV?
OP John_Hat 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Guy Atkinson:
> (In reply to John_Hat)
> They've never been put on the screen.. but how about a 200km long (possibly wide also) culture GSV?

now that's a good thought...
 Ridge 25 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
Bit of a tangent, but have you read Soul Catcher, completely different from his Sci-fi stuff?
OP John_Hat 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Nope... I'll stick in on the list...
 Brass Nipples 25 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Removed UserA Game of Chance)
>
> Was TB4 any good in the bath? Be a bit odd if it wasn't.

Thunderbird 4 was inside 2 in a bit that dropped down just in the series. It was yellow as in yellow super marine...

Removed User 26 Nov 2012

Before we moved to RAF Germany my TB2 was blue and 2 was yellow, sadly my Dad decided to consign it to the bin before we marched out. irrc later models were green.
Removed User 26 Nov 2012

that should read TB4 and TB2.. sigh
 robal 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby S: +1 I agree!
 LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

No Lexx???
 GridNorth 26 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat: Crikey, have I just dropped in on an episode of The Big Bang Theory very geeky.
as646 26 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat: If we're talking about the Culture, what about an orbital, which are around 3,000,000 km diameter?
 GrahamD 26 Nov 2012
In reply to as646:

Do you think an Orbital counts as a ship, though ?
as646 26 Nov 2012
In reply to GrahamD: I recall it's mentioned in one of the books that they do have the ability to act as ships. I imagine if the Death Star was left out then an orbital wouldn't count either though...
 Blue Straggler 26 Nov 2012
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Lexx is there. It's tiny.
 wercat 26 Nov 2012

No TEMPUS FRANGIT or Galisphere 347 either
 Guy Atkinson 28 Nov 2012
In reply to as646:
Yeah.. the Culture wins.. they always win.. isn't that the whole point of the culture.. to win?
Wonko The Sane 28 Nov 2012
In reply to John_Hat: How big was the ship in Marrow?

Other than that, it has to be the 100km Culture ships?

Orbitals don't really count. They're static. We can move an entire house, but it isn't a vehicle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...