UKC

Pete's Eats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nigel Modern 24 Nov 2012
Is it OK? Nothing on the website but Llanberis took a pounding on Thurs/Fri
 Yanis Nayu 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern: It wasn't OK when I went there a few years ago - it was rank.
 damo5000 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Pete's eats- breakfast of kings! Always great when we go
 Jacob Ram 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern:
At last the floor got a wash! Seriously though, a small town like Llanberis is going to be hit hard by this.
Paul F 24 Nov 2012
In reply to damo5000:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> Pete's eats- breakfast of kings!

Waiting 45 minutes for it always works up an appetite with me :0)
 Bulls Crack 24 Nov 2012
In reply to damo5000:
>
> Pete's eats- breakfast of kings! Always great when we go

It is the best thing they do
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern: They were open as usual today, I suspect they had to mop out yesterday.
 jimjimjim 24 Nov 2012
> (In reply to Nigel Modern) It wasn't OK when I went there a few years ago - it was rank.

Agreed. Llanberis in general is rank. Pete's is terrible. Never go there now.
 Bulls Crack 24 Nov 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:
> [...]
>
> Agreed. Llanberis in general is rank. Pete's is terrible. Never go there now.

Disagree. Llanberis is much improved - Pete's is much the same
 Banned User 77 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: Saw on FB that Petes never shut even during the floods..

But agree Llanberis is much better now.. Pantri, the other new cafe opposite Snowdon Garage and Wideawake 3 new cafes on the high street.. all worth a visit..

I use all 3, still use Petes for Wifi and also Caban.

Pretty ignorant comment to knock all of the village.. Pete's is up and down.. good one month, not so good the next..
 Peakpdr 24 Nov 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:
> [...]
>
> Agreed. Llanberis in general is rank. Pete's is terrible. Never go there now.

Llanberis is great, Loads of great shops, Pete's is what it is and always will be Pete's .. Fair price's, loads of scoff for the money.
The only thing its missing is a good supermarket..

jezb1 24 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Agree with Ian, the Pantri is very nice.

Petes is good, big portions for not much money but I do prefer Caban.

Llanberis is "better" than it used to be, Betws y Coed on the other hand....
In reply to jezb1:

Well it may be better than it used to be, but Llanberis is still so charmless compared with just about anywhere in the Lakes. I have always had a soft spot for Nant Peris, however. In particular, the Vaynol is much better than it used to be, in fact a great pub.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Really? I've lived in Nant and Llanberis.. llanberis is 100 times nicer for me.. Nant lacked a community I thought, too many holiday homes and huts.. Aye vaynol is a nice pub, but the heights and the PoW are great... PoW obviously miles better than them all..

TBH I prefer North Wales to the touristy nature of the lakes.. much more local character for me..
 jimjimjim 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to jezb1)
>
> Well it may be better than it used to be, but Llanberis is still so charmless compared with just about anywhere in the Lakes.
That's what i think. It could be so nice but with the hostile attitude of the locals (don't deny it) and lack of needed investment it's far from anywhere in the lakes. At least the climbing is good.
In reply to jimjimjim: Not sure about that.. there is a small nasty minority.. overly vocal... but 99% are great.

Aye it can be small minded.. any small place can be..
In reply to jimjimjim: Ambleside V llanberis... Llanberis any time..
 Edradour 25 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to jimjimjim) Ambleside V llanberis... Llanberis any time..

Disagree any time...

The New NickB 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
> [...]
> That's what i think. It could be so nice but with the hostile attitude of the locals (don't deny it) and lack of needed investment it's far from anywhere in the lakes. At least the climbing is good.

I can't say I have ever experienced any hostility in Llanberis, but I guess it isn't as "customer focussed" as Ambleside, but Ambleside in my view is twee and lacking in any real local colour. I love the Lakes, but given the choice between Llanberis and Ambleside or Keswick I think I would go with Llanberis.
 Andy Say 25 Nov 2012
That will be why you can't actually drive anywhere in the Lakes for long lines of visitor's cars then, Gordon?

Swings and roundabouts.....
 jimjimjim 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Say: At least you don't run the risk of getting your tires slashed though.
 jezb1 25 Nov 2012
In reply to jimjimjim: Yeah, 'cos that happens all the time....
 Bulls Crack 25 Nov 2012
> (In reply to jezb1)
>
> Well it may be better than it used to be, but Llanberis is still so charmless compared with just about anywhere in the Lakes. I have always had a soft spot for Nant Peris, however. In particular, the Vaynol is much better than it used to be, in fact a great pub.

Have to agree there but then many Lakes places are over-twee - something Llanberis is certainly not guilty of!
Fex Wazner 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I prefer the caban for food but still like the atmos of petes the lasagne salad and chips takes some beating and the monster omlete and chips used to be great.

Fex
 Al Evans 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Nigel Modern: I agree, Llanberis has always been the home of UK climbing, the Lakes and Scotland just don't cut it, maybe the Peak in the glory days of Stoney Middleton but 'Beris has weathered it all.
From the early days of Wendy's through the Padarn, Petes Eats to whatever is the latest incumbent the Pass has always been the number one for climbers.
 tistimetogo 25 Nov 2012

Amazed to hear negative comments about Petes. Loved getting a shower and a fry there.

Maybe things have changed since I was last there but I doubt it. I suspect it's the clients who have changed. Higher standards, bigger cars, smaller balls.
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Say: Perceptions of how busy these places do get can be misleading. Drive down the ogwen valley on a sunny day past all the endless lines of parked cars and its seems that the valley is busier than anywhere in the Lakes. Try to go to Keswick at 1600 when everyone is heading for the shops after a day on the fells and you wonder where the heck all people have come from!

There are plenty of quiet bits in the Lakes as there are in Snowdonia.
 Timmd 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tistimetogo:

> Maybe things have changed since I was last there but I doubt it. I suspect it's the clients who have changed. Higher standards, bigger cars, smaller balls.

Nice turn of phrase! I've never been. ()
 Banned User 77 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
> (In reply to Andy Say) Perceptions of how busy these places do get can be misleading. Drive down the ogwen valley on a sunny day past all the endless lines of parked cars and its seems that the valley is busier than anywhere in the Lakes. Try to go to Keswick at 1600 when everyone is heading for the shops after a day on the fells and you wonder where the heck all people have come from!
>
> There are plenty of quiet bits in the Lakes as there are in Snowdonia.

I don't know the lakes, but also as I come from the south I often hit the south, so ambleside/kendal/langdale so probably the busiest sections..

Pete's is good for what it is, the food is OK, good amounts, coffee pretty good, wifi sporadic, showers, always open..

But I try to shift my custom around as I know people at all the cafe's so like to support them all.
 Sean Kelly 25 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Nant lacked community??? Sorry but you are completely wrong. When I lived in Nant we knew nearly everybody in the village and beyond. If I went in the Vaynol by myself there was always somebody to talk with. When someone dies in the area the whole village and more turn out. And whenever there is a christening/wedding/death/birthday the pub is always full afterwards. On a dog-walk through the village we could never pass anybodys house without being invited in for a'Pannad'. As for holiday homes I can only recall 2 in the whole of the village. You can't say that about Chapel Stile or Elterwater! Hopefully I shall be in Nant over the New Year to visit old friends.
 Wainers44 25 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK: I always found Pete's to be good...cant understand the moaners on here?? When its busy, you wait, when the weathers bad it gets busy! Good point about sharing the custom around though.
 Banned User 77 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Sean Kelly: I guess we spent more time in Llanberis, tbf when we had the house issue neighbours were good, but we had nothing but trouble from 1 or 2 neighbours (holiday homers) blocking development of the house, reporting us to planning (for no good reason). Then after our conservative was built 10mm out of line we were made to rip it down and start again..

I even phoned her to let her know her tiles had fallen off her roof to get a mouthful abuse and be told it was my roof so I should repair it... old b*tch..

Others have had similar issues.

Maybe the younger generation who have moved in have kept to themselves more.

But the handbags surrounding the old PO has been a mess leaving an eye sore in the middle of the village.
 Bulls Crack 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
> (In reply to IainRUK) I always found Pete's to be good...cant understand the moaners on here?? When its busy, you wait, when the weathers bad it gets busy! Good point about sharing the custom around though.

Not moaning - I always use Pete's at some point when in N Wales - have been for 30 years.The breakfasts are ok - I'd rather eat elsewhere in the evening though.

Bad news r: handbags still out in the town
 Andrew Wilson 25 Nov 2012
In reply to tistimetogo:
<like>
OP Nigel Modern 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Mark Reeves: Thanks Mark...and to the others...I love UKC, keep it up - only slightly ironic :O)

Glad that they're not having to hack plaster off walls etc and hope the rest of Llanberis got off as lightly.

Pete's food was pretty much back up to standard last time I was there.

>but Llanberis is still so charmless compared with just about anywhere in the Lakes.

That's why I like it - if there's one thing climbing villages don't need, it's 'charm'.

jcm
 Timmd 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Andrew Wilson:
> (In reply to tistimetogo)
> <like>

Don't know if i'd agree with him if I went, just quite like the way he put it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...