/ Photography Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten on 25 Nov 2012
Can anyone recommend a couple of books to accompany a camera (Nikon Coolpix L310) as a Christmas gift for a 14 year old? Ideally I'd like to give them a book that explains photography and how to take photographs and I'd also like to give them another book that gives examples of great photography. Being a teenager I don't want to give them anything overly technical, dry or with unsuitable photography.
Tall Clare - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:

As a book covering a lot of the greats of photography, you could do worse than go for The Photo Book, published by Phaidon. It features one photograph from each of 500 photographers - a lot of real classics in there.
What Goes Up - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten: The Photographer's Eye is a fantastic book which explains a huge amount about composition and spotting the photo opportunity. Some beautiful photos in there too - highly recommended. One of my best purchases for sure.
Tall Clare - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:

Good call.
Alex Ekins - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:
Yes, The Photo Book is very good, also the National Geographic Field Guides are great - http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-Photography-Field-Guide/dp/0792253159/ref=sr_1_18?s=book...
Ta
Alex
drmarten on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Alex Ekins:
Some good recommendations - I actually have the Photo Book myself and I'd thought along the lines of National Geographic. The Photographers Eye seems well recommended on Amazon. Thanks for the tips.
AdrianC - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten: Yeah - +1 for The Photographer's Eye.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Henry Iddon - on 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:

Approaching Photography by Paul Hill is also worth a look. Slightly more academic but still very readable it gives a good overview of the genres of photography - and isn't just based around the notion that images have to be 'pretty pictures'. If the person the gift is for is a really creative teenager they would really enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Approaching-Photography-Paul-Hill/dp/1861083238/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UT...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.