UKC

Photography Books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 25 Nov 2012
Can anyone recommend a couple of books to accompany a camera (Nikon Coolpix L310) as a Christmas gift for a 14 year old? Ideally I'd like to give them a book that explains photography and how to take photographs and I'd also like to give them another book that gives examples of great photography. Being a teenager I don't want to give them anything overly technical, dry or with unsuitable photography.
 Tall Clare 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:

As a book covering a lot of the greats of photography, you could do worse than go for The Photo Book, published by Phaidon. It features one photograph from each of 500 photographers - a lot of real classics in there.
What Goes Up 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten: The Photographer's Eye is a fantastic book which explains a huge amount about composition and spotting the photo opportunity. Some beautiful photos in there too - highly recommended. One of my best purchases for sure.
 Tall Clare 25 Nov 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:

Good call.
 Alex Ekins 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:
Yes, The Photo Book is very good, also the National Geographic Field Guides are great - http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-Photography-Field-Guide/dp/0792...
Ta
Alex
drmarten 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Alex Ekins:
Some good recommendations - I actually have the Photo Book myself and I'd thought along the lines of National Geographic. The Photographers Eye seems well recommended on Amazon. Thanks for the tips.
 AdrianC 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten: Yeah - +1 for The Photographer's Eye.
 Henry Iddon 25 Nov 2012
In reply to drmarten:

Approaching Photography by Paul Hill is also worth a look. Slightly more academic but still very readable it gives a good overview of the genres of photography - and isn't just based around the notion that images have to be 'pretty pictures'. If the person the gift is for is a really creative teenager they would really enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Approaching-Photography-Paul-Hill/dp/1861083238/ref...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...