UKC

How much to climb and travel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello, me and a friend are talking about going climbing and travelling around Europe. We would be driving and probably camping and bivvying the time while we are there.
I was just wondering how much is ideal to save to do this for a month?
I think the furthest place would be lithuania

I know there will be plenty of people who may know the answer to this question

Thaaaaaanks
 Nathan Adam 25 Nov 2012
In reply to SarahElizabethMoran: i'd stick a grand by at least. could probably do it for less, although don't take my word for it, i've never done it.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 25 Nov 2012
In reply to SarahElizabethMoran: Me and a mate where climbing around switzerland for 3 weeks this summer, think it cost us about £700 each in total.

We didn't do a lot of camping and only spent 5 nights in campsites, though food/petrol is fairly expensive over there.

If you plan on doing a lot of driving id say about £1000 each, if you plan on camping in sites a lot and driving then about £1300 each.
 adstapleton 25 Nov 2012
In reply to SarahElizabethMoran:

£18,000, or thereabouts
 henwardian 25 Nov 2012
In reply to SarahElizabethMoran: Decide how scummy you are going to be (you sound pretty scummy if you are planning on bivvying a lot)
I would say this:
1) Decide where (approximately) you want to go. Use google maps to find the distances (remember to click the "no tollroads" box) and use this millage together with your vehicles fuel economy to calculate fuel cost.
2) Work out about how much you spend on food every month at home. Add this onto the fuel cost.
3) Add another 200 euros for miscillaneous stuff (there will always be the odd backery luxury or night in a bunkhouse when it is pouring rain) and as a safety net.

Total is what you need.

You need to add more if you will be camping in a site where you have to pay.

Main thing is to look at fuel and distance. Food can be a bit cheaper or more expensive than in the UK if you use supermarkets abroad but even a simple ring round S Europe to Lithuania and back round N Europe is going to be 5000 miles or more and that is 600 quid in a car with good fuel economy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...