UKC

Get up and go..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 26 Nov 2012
..has got up and gone.

Even the hound, normally the voice of my conscience, looked miserably at the sky and gave a "Look Ridge, lets just jump around in the mud for a couple of minutes so it looks like we've been out, get the fire going and then crisps and bonios all round. I won't say out to Mrs Ridge".

So, other than MTFU, which usually does the trick, how do the rest of you get motivated to head out over the soggy fields and muddy unlit roads in the cold and wet?
 Tall Clare 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Fatty McFat here is watching the thread attentively. I've told myself I'm restarting couch to 5k for the, oh, eighteenth time <ahem> and tonight's the night...
Douglas Griffin 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

If I've not been out for a week or two then a quick step onto the bathroom scales usually helps motivate me, but I admit I find it hard to fight the urge not to be bothered at this time of year. Too easy to find excuses not to go out, rather than looking for ways round them.
 John_Hat 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Having been stuck in a sling after an operation for the last six weeks unable to do anything (banned from climbing, running and driving) when this sling comes off on Thursday then I'm heading out into a monsoon if necessary...

So, in my case the medicine is six weeks of cabin fever...
Jamming Dodger 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: When im lacking in motivation I buy myself new kit of some sort (shoes, headtorch, new tights). This works as en emergency measure.
But... I have a lot of kit.
 LP 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: Agree with buying new kit! Something extravagant and shiny will make you feel all outdoorsey again. Then, the more extravagant and shiny the item is, the more guilty you'll feel with it sat next to you by the fire.

Once this fails, I tend to drink a lot of beer, get macho'd up, then enter an adventure/cross country race or similar, online. You'll either get motivated and train or just turn up on the day and find motivation at having finished (or just started).

Another thing is the Prison workout. My job feels like a sentence, so I follow this routine through the day at work as it takes no time. I find it stops the post-work slump as you have a small sense of acheivement all day.

Or, as you say, just MTFU.

OP Ridge 26 Nov 2012
In reply to LP:
Thanks for the Prison workout tip. Hit no 3 on google has a cute blonde in a skimpy top doing burpees...
 Wonrek 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: Just plan a short one, in my case tht would be a short three mile loop which will take well under half an hour. That's the lure that will get me out the door.

Once I'm out there nd doing it I can't help but o further, after all the thought is 99% of th time far worse than the reality.

Or enter a really big race in the not too distant future that'll cripple you if you don't MTFU and get training!

Banned User 77 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: I'm not a huge fan of muddy fields but hard forest trails are nice at night... I also like a nice street lamp lit road run in the rain..

I've ran every day for 40-50 days now, today I nearly didn't as I flew back from the US last night so am yet to sleep, but yet again a run was far more enjoyable than I expected.. its just getting out of the door..

Sometimes though I just don't want to run, about 2 months ago I even started, got 10 yards and just turned back..
bobbybin 26 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK: How did you get on Iain
 red.stiletto 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:
Ukc mileage comp, starting today??

Mines gone too, when you find yours can you let me know in case mines in the same place?
bobbybin 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: Try being a cyclist at this time of the year, you can run in most conditions
 Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Pick a pub a suitable running distance away. Run to it, with the promise of a pint. Sometimes I find just arranging to meet up with a fellow member of the asylum get you both out in all weathers. Once up to running temperatures you'll be in your stride anyway,.
In reply to bobbybin: where? USA was just a flying trip no races..
bobbybin 26 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Oh sorry mate for some reason thought i read you had a marathon coming up somewhere.
In reply to bobbybin: No, should have been Snowdonia, but the OMM took its place.. already did 5 earlier in the year.. so felt jaded..
bobbybin 26 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK: How mnay quick ones do you reckon you've got left in your legs. I gave up after my pb, and that was only my 5th one, best thing i did, made me a lot faster over shorter distances
 Dauphin 26 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/sad-light-box-226759

Got one of these last year and it delayed the slump until late Jan. Oh and get a running partner.

D
In reply to bobbybin: I think I'll seriously target one in the spring and maybe 1 more in the autumn and see where I am at.. I still fancy a serious crack at the 100k's again as that's the sport I can get a GB vest in.. I was 4th in Britain a few years ago and think I'm fitter now.. and the top 6 normally get selection..

I do enjoy the longe stuff generally, but think the ultra's just are not good for the body at all, especially the road ultra's..
 thedatastream 27 Nov 2012
I don't struggle too much with motivation, having time available is my biggest concern. When the time is available it gets used! Here is how I fool myself into doing it all over again.

Having a target and making a plan is a great idea, I've got a couple of fell races later in the year that I want to do and I made a training plan spreadsheet thing that I printed out and stuck to the kitchen wall. Write on it what you did and when and give yourself a score out of 10 for the week when you've done. Log all your miles and how you felt. You'll see the progression and feel better for it.

Use Strava or another run logging tool on your smartphone and post it to Facebook. Tell people what you are going to do. State your goals in public. Write them down somewhere. It's like entering into a contract with other people, you don't want people to think you are a quitter or don't stick to your word so you go out and do it.

Promise yourself a treat when you are done (biscuits, pint, cake, 10 minutes reading UKC... OK not the last one). Think about how good that post run cuppa will taste.

If the weather is really foul then do something like DIY, a different indoor sport (I've heard of these things called climbing walls), jobs round the house or at a last resort go to the gym (shudder). Better than sat in front of the telly watching something random.

If you don't enjoy running then you won't do it - maybe mix it up with something else? If you enjoy it then motivation isn't an issue.

Enjoy "them dolphins" (endorphins) and get out there

Hope this helps
JP
 Wainers44 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: When I cant be bothered, but I still should go I just get someone to take the car and drop me off Xkm from home. Could walk back (dont take bus fare!) but running seems the thing to do!
 yorkshireman 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Log your runs with a tool that helps you easily visualise progress and activity - I use Strava - and it helps to show when you're tailing off and tempts you to put the effort in again.

I've really slacked off recently (trying to take it easy after a few niggles) and have dropped down to an average of 27km a week which is about half what I was averaging for the last 3 months so I know I need to get back out there.

The snows are coming for us and this makes it harder to get out, and like you, my dog is a bit of a whuss when the weather is bad but I managed a 16km this morning (although I'm working in the city today so it was easy) and think I've kickstarted myself.

There was a UKC Strava club - maybe we can get competitive that way.
OP Ridge 27 Nov 2012
In reply to all.

Thanks, some good ideas there. Managed a short 3 miler at lunch time, so all is not lost.
 Ali 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: Start posting on Fit Club? If you say you're going to do something, makes it harder to back out.

Similar, but not quite as expensive as the new gear suggestions - pick up a running mag for motivation. I read a trail running magazine recently and it made me so psyched to start running hills and off-road again.... only trouble is, that doesn't help much, as I'm in London
 red.stiletto 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:
Woop. Guilt after posting last night; managed to get out tonight!
Just a little 5kms but my aim is to improve my park run time, so gonna try and do lots over the next few weeks.

Good luck with yours
 tistimetogo 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Headed out to buy bacon tonight and ended up at a climbing wall. Great session! But now I'm back and I still have no bacon.

Conclusion; other people are my pysch and I'm easily persuaded.
 The New NickB 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Run with other people, make plans, you are much less likely to bale out if you would be letting someone down.
OP Ridge 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ali:
> (In reply to Ridge) Start posting on Fit Club?

> I read a trail running magazine recently and it made me so psyched to start running hills and off-road again.... only trouble is, that doesn't help much, as I'm in London

This did the trick, thanks Ali. Went out on 6 miler on the fells in the moonlight last night. Fantastic run with the full moon reflecting off Bass lake, frost on the tops and no wind. The dog got to pretend he was a brave night-time predator too.
It's easy to motivate myself on nights like that, less so for trudging round the muddy lanes in the rain. I just need to remember if I don't get the miles in the good runs are that much harder. <hobbles stiffly to the kettle>
 thedatastream 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Well done mate. I'm doing stiff hobbling too!
 wbo 29 Nov 2012
A decent cross country league will provide entertainment and targets all winter - Surrey league for those in London is hard to beat.
 JamButty 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: I haven'r run for two weeks, couldn't be arsed with this weather, but went out last night for a lovely run with the moon and jupiter to guide me, oh and some Macc Lads

Does this post answer three seperate threads in one!!

Steve John B 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Wainers44:
> (In reply to Ridge) When I cant be bothered, but I still should go I just get someone to take the car and drop me off Xkm from home. Could walk back (dont take bus fare!) but running seems the thing to do!

I'm going to try that one, thanks!
 Wainers44 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Steve John B: Its a great way to get forced exercise without getting a trainer! Works with Kayaking for me too. I get dropped off with kit further down the coast, kayak back turning left into the Exe...another 2K and then next left home...easy. Only ever had a problem once when I stopped for an extra ice cream at Dawlish and missed the tide. Paddling up river against an 8 knot tide took quite a long time....
Removed User 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge:

Mix it up.....hit the treadmill or jump rope indoors. Radio/TV can help if you find these deadly boring.
 Ali 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: Awesome! Sounds lovely - not that I'm jealous at all!
 Banned User 77 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: At the moment its stunning out.. lovely 10 miler on quiet roads last night, massive moon
rgbritton 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: Having recently upped my training mileage to a reasonable level for the first time in this lovely Autumn/Winter season there are a few things I do to try and keep myself going and getting out of that door.

1) Make a plan, write it down and write down your progress (alternatively use one of the fancy online equivalents, I just like having a little notebook)

2) Get on the trails, the hills, the footpaths, just somewhere a little more interesting then your normal run. This isn't too difficult if your normal run takes you along the Old Kent Road and through Lewisham...

3) Get competitive. Race your own times on similar routes. Race friends times. Think about how the training will help in the season to come and how that chap in the hognail boots with the limp won't beat you next time, because he's tucked up on the sofa eating PIES. I did take this tip from a Lance Armstrong book though, so maybe this is cheating?

4) Make it part of your journey or a commute. I jog to my climbing gym, mainly because I am poor as dirt, but also because in my mind, I have to go there, so I have to jog 15 miles and if I stop, I'm in Catford or Lewisham and I'll get mugged.

5) Go on a treadmill in a nice warm gym. Not really. That is no way for a self respecting person to improve their cardio-vascular performance as the counter-effect of "becoming a wuss" will slow you down in the long run.

6) Get a friend to keep you company, then you feel bad if you let them down, or some similar feeling. Or the misery is halved. None of my friends want to run with me any more, anyone fancy 30 miles on Sunday on the North Downs Way?

7) Book a little race, like the Grand Union canal Race, the Thames Ring, the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc or Spartahlon, and scare yourself into activity. That always works for me. IMAGINE FINISHING LAST! Or not at all?

8) By far the most effective method of getting out of the door and training, for me personally, was the decision to move in with my father for a short time. That man could drive me to the ends of the earth with his lectures, drunken rambling and skewed sense of right and wrong. Just live with someone you don't like talking to, works a charm.

aligibb 29 Nov 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
for running we have a regular slot and do it whatever the weather, but I don't run that many times a week yet.
Cycling I feel up for it in the morning and so cycle to work, then I have to do it home again when its dark and I'm bleary eyed and don't feel like it. It takes 5 mins to feel refreshed again. and 12 miles later to be tired again but a good tired not a horrible one!!! I'm even growing to like cycling in the dark!
 Banned User 77 30 Nov 2012
In reply to rgbritton:

I actually quite like the treadmill.. I was recently in the most dangerous city in the US.. a murder rate of 1 in a 1000.. random shootings etc.. and I still ran outside but quicker.. but also didn't enjoy being out after dark, so would hit the treadmill. For morning runs I could set the pace quite quick and force myself to run at that pace, and then in the eves I'd do 10 milers but varying the pace. Did 30 miles over 4 days on the treadmills and actually enjoyed it.

I think running twice a day makes upping the milage so much easier, just 3-4 miles early morning or 4-5 at lunch..
 BusyLizzie 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Ridge: I am lucky enough to have a nice running route to work - off the train at Paddington, run to the office in Victoria. Three miles - four if you go the long way around Hyde Park - mostly park (Green Park, then St James'). I'm going there anyway, and even in the rain it's nicer than the tube. Splash around in the shower at work and then feel great. The only trouble is I have to be very organised about where my clothes are. It is irksome to find myself at the office with respectable clothes but without knickers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...