UKC

Climbing clubs ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 26 Nov 2012
Just wondering if there are any clubs out there, either national or north west area which have the following;

Average age not 600 and frozen to death
Huts in a variety of locations [or good access/sharing]
Active calendar
Allows women !

I am very happy with my local club, apart from the lack of a hut, as would often like to do a quick/spontaneous trip as domestics allow. Other clubs I have looked at are mighty hard to get in, or are a touch on the 'mature' side.
 DalesClimber 26 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: hello!

Mine doesn't own any huts, but it meets all the other requirements. The calendar is informal though - weekends are arranged ad hoc depending on the weather. We're on the wrong side of the country for you though.

(Btw - I've just signed up for the Hebden - are you doing it?)
 Cameron94 26 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Check the bmc/mcofs/MI whatever website is relevent to 'north west'. Then check individual club websites to get an idea of what they are like.
In reply to sarahkeast: 'North West' is a big area!!! Our club meets most of your criteria, except the hut, but we regularly use other club's huts. Based in Chester/Wrexham - so kinda the south of the north west!!

oh, and average age about 25-30ish
 Al Evans 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Try The Climbers Club
http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/
 Missile 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: The NW is a large area, but in Manchester you have the Karabiner Mountaineering Club: http://www.karabiner.org/ It ticks all the boxes
 GrahamD 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Personally I find being a member of a local club (no huts, low fees) and the Climbers Club (good hut network, generally higher climbing standard)works well for me.

Having a hut can be quite a liability for a small club.
 krikoman 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: No
 Ava Adore 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

I suspect that might not meet the OP's criteria as, let's be honest, it is a bit of a faff to get into
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:
> Other clubs I have looked at are mighty hard to get in, or are a touch on the 'mature' side.

If you want a 'network' of climbing huts, that you can use whenever you want to, then you are really looking at the big, national clubs. You say 'mighty hard to get in', but really, if you are an active climber who leads vs (not that difficult for anyone who climbs regularly), and who actually wants to be a member, then I wouldn't say that any of them are that hard to get into.

As to the age of the membership, there will be a variety of members - what sort of age of climbers do you want to be climbing with? I guess you probably have to have been climbing a while to have the experience to join the national clubs, so people will generally be in their 30s before they choose to join....

Otherwise, you are looking at joining a local club, which tend to have a hut, rather than a network of huts? But that can be a good option. A lot of local clubs organise meets which use other club's huts, but this is obviously a lot less flexible...

Ava Adore 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

I'm not sure how lack of a hut is an impediment? I'm no longer a member of a climbing club but my old club used to organise meets away all over the country. Maybe it was just that they had a good meets secretary?
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> I suspect that might not meet the OP's criteria as, let's be honest, it is a bit of a faff to get into

Not really... I don't know anyone who has been through the process who thinks it was much of a faff. It tends to be people who haven't, but have just read the instructions who think that.

There is certainly great encouragement for people wanting to join, including aspirant member meets with free food, drink and accommodation, a provisional members scheme etc....
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to sarahkeast)
>
> I'm not sure how lack of a hut is an impediment? I'm no longer a member of a climbing club but my old club used to organise meets away all over the country. Maybe it was just that they had a good meets secretary?

I read it that she wanted to be able to just go away on the spur of the moment, without it being a meet that is planned in advance?

Andy Hardy 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Don't know where you live but you could try the Mynydd www.mynydd.org.uk We have a hut, women are allowed, an active meets program, although there is no upper age limit.
 Ava Adore 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Out of curiosity, have you come across a club that DOESN'T allow women?
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to sarahkeast)
>
> Out of curiosity, have you come across a club that DOESN'T allow women?

Yeah - the wayfarers don't. Or the outdoor lads.

Ava Adore 27 Nov 2012
In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> Yeah - the wayfarers don't. Or the outdoor lads.

Wow. Bet they're boring as shit.
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
 lithos 27 Nov 2012
In reply to tlm:

i think its a bit of a faff, but then im not in yet nor likely to be this year
Jim C 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:
> Just wondering if there are any clubs out there, either national or north west area which have the following;

Carn Dearg MC :- More A Mountaineering Club and based in the East, but there are a few active climbers.
> Average age not 600 and frozen to death
borderline, depend what is old to you ?)
> Huts in a variety of locations [or good access/sharing]
Hut in Glen Clova/Glen Doll available for booking by other clubs(new hut being built see link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22776031@N05/sets/72157629320847608/
> Active calendar
Monthly meets
> Allows women !
No problem

OwenM 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: What about the pinnacle club, they have at least one hut, are active I believe and only allow women. Being a bloke I'm not a member so I don't know what the average age is.
 teflonpete 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lithos:
> (In reply to tlm)
>
> i think its a bit of a faff, but then im not in yet nor likely to be this year

What are you waiting on? Once you've got your signatures it only takes a few weeks.
Well worthwhile, we had the Counthouse to ourselves Sunday and Monday, and were joined by another couple on Tuesday, when we had Bosi to ourselves, all on the spur of the moment. CC membership is hard to beat and well worth the little bit of faff getting a few signatures together.
 lithos 27 Nov 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

i know tons (12++) of people who have been in less than 2 years, but know and have climbed (enough) with relatively few (3/4) who > 2 years. Thats the faff. I cold go on an aspirants meet but i've been away for most of them (one always clashes with SLMM) I went on a week long meet but that wasn't that fruitful from that aspect.

Im not saying its like trying to undo the gordian knot or unjjustified but it can be a faff if you dont know the right peeps
 Rog Wilko 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Hi Sarah,
You should really try us http://www.lancashirecavingandclimbingclub.co.uk/home-joomla/
(Web site a bit shaky at the moment, being rebuilt).
We are an old established club (1936) and were open to both sexes from the start (very
unusual). The caving bit shouldn't deter you as it is now a very minor part of our activities and is just a historical accident really.
We have our share of older members, but we have a good age spread, with several dozen active members below 40. You would come into contact with some older people, like myself, but you don't have climb with them!
We have two huts, one at Torver below Dow Crag and the other in Tan-y-grisiau below the Moelwyn Crags. We have reciprocal rights with several other club huts.
Our meets list is possibly unsurpassed by that of any other club. We have meets pretty well every weekend, sometimes more than one. Midweek climbing indoors in winter, outdoors in summer. We have several trips a year to clip bolts (one in France, one in Italy next spring) and a keen winter climbing sub group (going to Dolomites in January) who are to be found climbing in Scotland, Lakes & N Wales whenever conditions are in.
Joining the club isn't difficult, though every new member has to go through a probationary period before applying for full membership. It mainly depends on attending 5 or 6 meets, so the probationary period need only be a short time if you're keen enough.
You don't specify your climbing grade, but that won't matter unless you're wanting to climb big E-numbers. Plenty of us climb up to E2 or so, but we're not elitist and there are people climbing at all sorts of grades below that.
You'll be welcome to come on a meet or two as a guest to see if you like us.
Regards
Rog
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Also, there is sometimes a big difference between the average age of club members and the average age of actively climbing club members....

I love clubs. They are just so... I don't know... such a good way of meeting random climbing bods... I've been on hols with all sorts of good folk, shared lifts, met lifelong friends, stayed in amazing places....
 tlm 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lithos:
> Im not saying its like trying to undo the gordian knot or unjjustified but it can be a faff if you dont know the right peeps

Just phone up and ask the meet leader if you can go on some of the other meets....

lithos 27 Nov 2012
In reply to tlm:

im away most w/e at the moment teaching and practising for assessment
so its not at the top of my priorities (as maybe it should be

not that i see climbing for one day on a meet will make that person fulfil the criteria - but this is all a bit of a sidetrack. Im not whinging but for me its a bit of a faff
 teflonpete 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lithos:

Not sure if your 4 signatures of support have to be from members with 2 years in or not. Definitely your proposer and seconder do. I'll try and find out.
 lithos 27 Nov 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

you ok i have all signatures. the 4 dont (but largely are in my case) the prop and 2nd do need to be 2yr+
 teflonpete 27 Nov 2012
In reply to lithos:

Is it prop and 2nd you're waiting on?
 GridNorth 27 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: The Climbers Club is superb value for money if only for the guaranteed parking in the Pass in summer. I'm a long standing member and it's easier to get in now than it once was. We have huts in North Wales , Scotland, Pembroke, The Peak District, the Lakes and Cornwall. We run "aspirants" meets which are a good way of getting sponsors as well as other meets all around the world. Some say it is elitist but I actually like the fact that if I hook up with a fellow member, even if I do not know him, I am assured to a large extent that he is competent.
 lithos 27 Nov 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

i have both and the form is in but will probably get bounced - as the pro/2nd need to
fillin a new (last years or 2) style form thats is more detailed (which they may have done)
and I hadn't got that sorted in time.

im pretty sanguine about it all and not complaining

Have been to snowdonia for 3 of the last 5 w/e so having a cheaper place to stay at short notice would be great
 GrahamD 27 Nov 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

To be honest, if CC membership is too much trouble for some people, heaven only knows how much hassel people will find small club hut maintainance rosters.
 Al Evans 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> I suspect that might not meet the OP's criteria as, let's be honest, it is a bit of a faff to get into

It's not you know Maureen, not as difficult as you think. If you want I'll propose you, should be a cakewalk thereafter.
 Ava Adore 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Bless you, hon, but I have no plans to join at the moment. I have enough friends who are members who can sign me in to huts
 Howard J 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> It's not you know Maureen, not as difficult as you think. If you want I'll propose you, should be a cakewalk thereafter.

I think statements like this are why there is so much confusion over what the CC requires. I don't know Ava Adore and her logbook isn't public, but from what is visible from her profile I'm a bit surprised she'd meet the minimum standard the CC asks for (no disrespect intended). I'm fairly sure I wouldn't, despite 40 years experience, because I consider myself to be a very unconfident VS leader.

tlm 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Howard J:
> despite 40 years experience, because I consider myself to be a very unconfident VS leader.

I don't think it is that unclear!!!!

"You should show how long you have been climbing, how often you climb outdoors, which climbing areas you have visited in the last couple of years and your current leading standard.
High rock climbing grades are not a requirement of membership but a degree of technical competence is required as well as a genuine and active participation in climbing activities. We are looking for a good CV
of adventurous climbing; adventure climbs in the UK would typically be multi pitch, naturally protected and have access or route finding challenges (e.g. tidal sea cliffs with tricky access or large high mountain crag routes). Examples of the minimum standard of confident leading expected include:
• adventurous UK rock climbs of at least VS 4c
• UK winter climbs of at least Grade IV
• multi-pitch water ice climbs of at least WI3
• alpine style rock climbs of UIAA grade V or 5.7 US
• several seasons of alpine climbing with ascents of significant peaks/routes of at least AD+
N.B. We do not expect applicants to match all five of these bullet points; they are listed as a guide!
In all cases examples of climbs done in the last few years are a great way to give us the flavour of your experience.
Any wider experience will be taken into account.
Outline any other experience or skill that you feel would be of use/benefit to the club. (What are you able to offer the club?)"
 staceyjg 28 Nov 2012
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> I think statements like this are why there is so much confusion over what the CC requires. I don't know Ava Adore and her logbook isn't public, but from what is visible from her profile I'm a bit surprised she'd meet the minimum standard the CC asks for (no disrespect intended). I'm fairly sure I wouldn't, despite 40 years experience, because I consider myself to be a very unconfident VS leader.

I do know Ava Adore, and I just looked at her profile, and I dont see anything on her profile which would allow you to make the judgment that she wouldnt meet the mimimum standard the CC asks for.
 Howard J 28 Nov 2012
In reply to staceyjg: I certainly didn't intend any disrespect and used her only as an example, in view of Al's recommendation. Without sight of her full log it is difficult to tell, but taken overall her profile made me wonder whether it would meet the CC's grade requirements, which are described as a minimum. Her best onsight of VS certainly ticks the box if she is consistent at that grade, but other aspects of her profile caused me to wonder.

mmmhumous 29 Nov 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Where abouts in the NW are you based?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...