/ CP Plus Fine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam Simpson - on 27 Nov 2012
Hi just wondering if anyone has any advice, I got a fine through the door from a service station because I slept there because I was overtired. I did not see the sign as I was too tired and felt it was a risk for me to be on the road. I sent a polite appeal and they have ignored my appeal completely and still sending me threats.Not even a reply! Advice please, should I just ignore from now on. I have since forwarded the email again. i felt it was best if I explain the situation I was in? But feel that they are completely ignorant?
butteredfrog - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

You replied! You've fed the trolls.

Have a look on moneysavingexpert.com and similar sites, loads of threads and advice, mostly ignore they go away; used succesfully by me once.

However the law has possibly changed slightly recently, with the banning of clamping so not sure where you stand.

Personally I would ignore!
Sam Simpson - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to butteredfrog: Yes I have fed the trolls, my letter was very reasonable and fair. I just dont know if I have done the right thing. Maybe I should have just paid the original fine just to stop worrying.
EeeByGum - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: I think the law has changed recently regarding parking on private land. If signs were clearly displayed, regardless of your condition, you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on - I could be wrong.

Just for your information, most service areas only permit two hours of free parking. Maybe next time, the way forward would be to come off at a junction and find a layby.
krikoman - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson: The bastards, they charge enough for the shit they sell. I'd try writing to the businesses on the site.
Trangia - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

I've noticed on motorways that there are little raised ramps at intervals which can be approached from the hard shoulder. As they are above the traffic you won't be parking on the hard shoulder (illegal) and you are unlikely to be hit by an out of control vehicle.

I wonder if you are allowed to park and sleep on these? :)

The New NickB - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to samsimpson:

I think the law has changed regarding the 'prove I was driving defense', they have always been able to claim for the cost of parking plus reasonable costs of recovery, the question of time limited free parking is not fully resolved as far as I am aware. If the charge after the free period is disproportionate, it may still be construed as a penalty, which cannot be enforced. You then get in to a complex argument about liquidated damages, which is unlikely, because they would also have to prove that you were stopping other people using the service station, ie. All the parking spaces were full.

I am not a lawyer.
deepsoup - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to samsimpson) I think the law has changed recently regarding parking on private land. If signs were clearly displayed, regardless of your condition, you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on - I could be wrong.

The law has changed, but the land owner still has no right to impose a fine. The advice still seems to be to ignore the letters threatening court action, they're still bluffing.

To the OP:
Have a rummage through the forums at moneysavingexpert.com eg: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4309795
If you search for the name of the company that have sent you an invoice (its *not* a fine) there's a good chance you'll find something fairly helpful.
scrufff on 27 Nov 2012 - 82-71-49-171.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk
In reply to Trangia:

I think these are for coppers to watch the traffic from. At least that is what my extensive research of Road Wars has taught me.
ads.ukclimbing.com
DynamoCL - on 27 Nov 2012
In reply to scrufff:

I can't believe you took that bait!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.