Starting Out forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Learning to lead climb

tnewmark - on 27 Nov 2012
Hi,

I started climbing about four months ago, and climb indoor (Castle - London) about once a week on average, although want to increase this.

I go with a couple of friends, sometimes my girlfriend, or on my own, and we tend to top rope or boulder. I'm not too obsessed with grades but as an indication of my level, I seem to be climbing around 6a-6b+.

However, I would really like to start lead climbing. One of my friends has done a few sessions of trad outdoors with a more experienced climber, and is currently borrowing their rope. He has suggested we just start lead climbing indoors but I'm not sure I'm that confident and don't want to pick up bad habits, fall or cause him to fall.

I'm not really keen on paying for a course for something I think I could learn from books/videos but I don't know if this is advisable. I'm talking particularly about indoor and outdoor sport climbing, rather than trad at the moment.

I would really prefer to save my money for a course on movement. I have however got the Self Coached Climber and also seen some of the masterclass videos by Neil Gresham.

Did others learn to lead climb from books/videos, and if so, can you recommend any?

Thanks,

Tom

... not showing 34 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums